Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RIP Major Richard "Dick" Winters

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
One of the first things i learnt in high school history about world war two was that when the chips were down and the japs were on their way to Australia the poms told us to deal with it ourselves. It was the Americans that came to our aid. Who knows what might have happened had they not come to help us.

Remember that General Macarthur called that the Australian Militia cowards as they staged a fighting retreat in new guinea. Watch any documentary on New guinea made by the Americans, and there was no other nation there. They're always the ones who win everything with no help from anyone. When in actual fact, in most conflicts the victory was a result of multiple efforts.
Its this kind of arrogance that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

That said, credit were credit is due, it just seems allot of time more credit is taken then is actually due. (By America as a nation more then an individual basis)

T

tommySV6Ute

One of the first things i learnt in high school history about world war two was that when the chips were down and the japs were on their way to Australia the poms told us to deal with it ourselves. It was the Americans that came to our aid. Who knows what might have happened had they not come to help us.

Australia had it sorted by the time the yanks left the Brisbane bars and clubs to assist. If you're meaning Kokoda the yanks were not a part of it.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
The Australian forces in New Guinea would have had a hell off a time driving the Imperial army from the island if the Americans didn't assist. Common story through out the war. The Allied nations won the war, not America, not England, not Australia.

This is why it shits me no end when you see American documentaries sprooking military victories as their own. In 99% of instances if other campaigns had not gone in the right direction it would have decimated another. So to claim one nation as the victor is down right rude.

Matty.b

VR with 56,000kms genuine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
The Australian forces in New Guinea would have had a hell off a time driving the Imperial army from the island if the Americans didn't assist. Common story through out the war. The Allied nations won the war, not America, not England, not Australia.

This is why it shits me no end when you see American documentaries sprooking military victories as their own. In 99% of instances if other campaigns had not gone in the right direction it would have decimated another. So to claim one nation as the victor is down right rude.

too right, the best documentaries arnt American, with the war in Europe, the Germans make by far the best docos, in the pacific probably the Poms and Aussies (few of them but)

but who ever said the Aussies had it under control by the time the yanks went into battle is wrong.
they halted the Advance of the Imperial Japanese Army, but would not of been able to cope with pushing them back (let alone pushing them back to Japan).

then in several sorties the yanks reined in the Japanese Navy NO WAY would the Australian Navy be able to, and the poms lost some of their pacific fleet at the battle of Singapore and pulled the rest out to fight in Europe/N.Africa