Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rip Shifter - Hard to change from 1st to 2nd?

v-petn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SS VE
Guys,

Thinking on getting the Rip Shifter. Friend had it on his WRX and it felt great but I'm concerned that it would make shifting from 1st into 2nd harder... Now it requires a bit of effort and if I go shorter shifter, won't that make it harder?

Those that have it, how do you rate it over stock shifter?

v-petn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SS VE
Thanks mate... I notice cube speed short shifter is a lot cheaper than the Rip Shifter... Are there any difference between the 2?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Guys,

Thinking on getting the Rip Shifter. Friend had it on his WRX and it felt great but I'm concerned that it would make shifting from 1st into 2nd harder... Now it requires a bit of effort and if I go shorter shifter, won't that make it harder?

Those that have it, how do you rate it over stock shifter?

I put a few in and ran one in my own VE for over 100,000km and found it excellent. If you struggle with the effort then grow a set.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
shifting shouldnt be hard 1st to 2nd should be a breeze, only issues could be the 2nd to 3rd hitting the gate when its shifted fast but the shift itself should be smooth, if its just hard thru normal changing like mentioned try changing oil to the penrite pro gear, also compared to a jap box these have more mechanical feel much more rugged which is normal

v-petn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SS VE
I just replaced the gearbox oil today with Penrite... When I say hard to shift from 1st to 2nd I just mean it's not as smooth as say from 2nd to 3rd... I mean it goes in but requires a bit of effort that's all... I was just concerned that adding Rip Shifter would make it worse... But from the sounds of it, it won't

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
If you are having problems with the 1->2 change then it probably means that your gearbox synchros might be worn, either that or you aren't pushing the clutch in fully before you move the gear lever. I didn't think the Ripshift was a short shifter (it certainly wasn't in my VX GTS). The main benefit of a Ripshift was in the cross-gate 2->3 and 4->5 shifts, rather than the straight 1->2 and 3->4 shifts. Penrite gearbox oil is certainly the way to go.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
the 6 speed in the SS is a bit agricultural-notchy, mine has since I've had it (9 yrs), and done 165,00klm no problems

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
My Ripshifter was a bit tight at first on the 1st to 2nd change. It got better the more you used it.
Trying to shift hard and fast under power will expose any weak point with your clutch system too.