Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

risky buying car stereos overseas on Ebay???

D-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SV8
Im lookin at a pioneer stereo on Ebay at the moment, its alot cheaper than buying in Aust. The seller has 100% feedback but my only issue is that its from USA. Is it a risk buying overseas stereo's? what happens if it stuffs up? any feedback would be great

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Apart from the radio not working it should be fine, better to ask him "what if it stuffs up?".

You could ask if it is covered by warranty in Australia service centres, or would it have to be sent back to him.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
if you buy a stereo from the US your radio should work, the things are the same (i forgot what there called) the things that starts at 88.0 and ends at 108.0, not the same anywhere else though.

NonStick Squid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS Ute m6, VS Calais
if you buy a stereo from the US your radio should work, the things are the same (i forgot what there called) the things that starts at 88.0 and ends at 108.0, not the same anywhere else though.

The fm frequency range?

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I asked this exact question about a month ago in the Car Audio section. From the answers I got, make sure the fm increments are the same as here in aus. I think we go up by .3, so just check to make sure the unit you're getting matches what it is here. You're radio should work then.
As far as returns, do what 2DIE said and see if you can just send it to a pioneer repairer here in aus. See what his returns policy is. With a lot of the units, you're going to be saving a few hundred anyway, so if by any chance you do need to send it back, you'll probably still be saving money. I think it'll be fine simply because the American market is 6x the size of ours so manufacturers and retailers there can buy in much more bulk, thus providing cheaper rates for their customers. That was told by ACA on channel 9 a while back when Jerry Harvey was complaining about people buying from overseas and wanting to introduce a tax on products bought from overseas.