Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Road trip! (Newcastle-Adelaide-Toowoomba-Newcastle)

zvagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon 9C1
One of the benefits of being a teacher is holidays... there, I said it.

Anyway, this coming holidays we have two weddings in two weekends - one in Adelaide, SA the other in Toowoomba, Qld. So it's road trip time, right?

A good excuse to give the new wagon a spin.

The currently planned route is attached. Heading the southern route to Adelaide (through Bordertown), through Broken Hill/Bourke/Lightning Ridge between Adelaide and Toowoomba, then down the New England home again.

What do you reckon? Should we make some more detours to catch any worthwhile spots? Anyone who has done any of these legs got some suggestions?

Google reckons it will be about 4,500kms all up.

Attachments

• planned trip.jpg
    planned trip.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 3,304

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Hi,

I would be more inclined to go Balranald, Mildura, Renmark than down the south route.

I haven't driven the Bordertown/Murray Bridge route in a long time, but remember that it was particularly boring. There is lots of nothing the other way, but at least some interesting things along the Murray to break the monotony.

Another option on the way to Toowoomba is Cobar, Nyngan, Gilgandra and up the Newell to Goodiwindi, then to Toowoomba.

Agree that NEH is the way to go from Toowoomba to Newcastle.

Should be a pleasant trip as there should be little traffic to worry about.

zvagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon 9C1
Thanks heaps for the ideas!

We've done the Mildura/Renmark route into Adelaide a few times and wanted to try something different. But if it as boring as you suggest, maybe 'same same' is the way to go.

Any particular experience with the route through Gilgandra/Goondiwindi that makes it a better option? We will probably aim to take 3/4 days heading north, so interesting places to stop is high on our priority list.

Anyone with experience going through to Broken Hill via Wentworth (up through NSW) vs Burra/Peterborough (up through SA)? Preferences?

ShadowMyst86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Be on the look out for emu's if you come through the Goondiwindi way. I worked there for a year and drove down to Melbourne twice last year and that area has lots of emu's wandering around in big groups. They tend to scatter onto the highway when spooked.

Apart from that, between Gundy and Toowoomba is also pretty heavily policed at times.

zvagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon 9C1
So, now I'm thinking - why on earth am I not going through Bathurst?!

Haven't been through there since I was on my L's in an '89 Pajero... could be a little different this time.

Bathurst - West Wyalong anyone?

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Toowoomba is a nice little town to stop in. Picnic point, grand central, the shopping strip in Margaret and Ruthven streets. Queens park is nice for a picnic with the family. And there are several really nice national parks north and east of toowoomba. Half an hours drive north of toowoomba is crows nest, and a short drive from there is crows nest national park. The new england highway gets a bit rough at points so hopefully your suspension is up to it.

ShadowMyst86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Guess Toowoomba seems a lot more exciting when you don't live here.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I like Toowoomba, although admittedly I only moved out here a couple of years ago.
It's a very tidy city, despite the lack of water there is lots of nice gardens & parks. And the view from Picnic Point is awesome. Some nice scenery on the way to Highfields. I'm still discovering the surrounding areas. I miss the coast, beaches and stuff - but Toowoomba has plenty to offer in regards to scenery, history etc

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
If it wasn't so far out of your way I'd say go to Parkes and see the big dish. I found that very interesting.

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
Guess Toowoomba seems a lot more exciting when you don't live here.

Hmmm I second that... nice place to visit but you really wouldn't want to live here.... lol