Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Road Weathy Certificate Repair Help Much Needed

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Those prices are cheap even if the "radiator coolant" leak is just nip up a hose clamp. The brake pads would be $150 S&F alone. Link pins will be done as a pair etc etc. That's a very short list for rwc on a commodore. They usually need castor rod bushes, strut tops, rear chassis mount bushes, engine/ trans mounts, rocker cover gaskets, brake fluid flush..................all weak points on commodores except engine mounts for 5L and Gen3. You've gotten off lightly.

Most work shops will happily point out where each item is on the car while it's on the hoist

webbiegareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I haven't had to do the seatbelts or parker globes yet, but everything else on that list I've had to fix on my commodore too (not for a roadworthy, just as part of looking after the car). All common parts to stuff up on these models. That's a really good price, particularly if the "front radius rod rear bushes" mean the bushes in the lower control arm that connect to the Z bar. Those aren't easy to replace. I had all my front Z bar bushes redone recently (and the lower control arm bushes).

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I keep a close eye on both my cars, as a result haven't been pinged for roadworthy yet.

All the items are quite simple and inexpensive except the oil leak and radiator leak. They could cost four figures each, depending on where it is leaking from.....I'd say just fix it. Cheaper than getting a new car.....

My auto housing was only a $50, 1/2 hr job at transmission place. Bulb and 'clean' seatbelt you could also do yourself. Handbrake is also easy to adjust.

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vx S Pack S2
well just a update i ended up paying for the work also he said he did a pressure test and he found out that it needed a new radiator i payed for a new one $300 to get installed he called me later on that day to say it was ready to be picked up gave me my RWC aswell i was over the moon that i got that because my rego wouldnt be suspended anymore drove home 2ks away left my car in the driveway overnight then next morning took it for a dive and the temp gague went all the way to H so i pulled over and waited for it to cool down then i added more coolent then drove home does anybody have any idea what the problem might be befor i got the work done the temp gague always used to stay just below the half way line and know its just running ####ed

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
well just a update i ended up paying for the work also he said he did a pressure test and he found out that it needed a new radiator i payed for a new one $300 to get installed he called me later on that day to say it was ready to be picked up gave me my RWC aswell i was over the moon that i got that because my rego wouldnt be suspended anymore drove home 2ks away left my car in the driveway overnight then next morning took it for a dive and the temp gague went all the way to H so i pulled over and waited for it to cool down then i added more coolent then drove home does anybody have any idea what the problem might be befor i got the work done the temp gague always used to stay just below the half way line and know its just running ####ed

they might not have bled the system properly, pretty poor form if they replaced a radiator - drive straight back and ask the question.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
they might not have bled the system properly, pretty poor form if they replaced a radiator - drive straight back and ask the question.

Looking at the Gregorys the bleed procedure can be a bit fiddly for a busy workshop.....but yeh take it back.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Unless the car failed the brake test, they can't knock you on a roadworthy for brake pads.

Ever heard of minimum thickness?

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

davs

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
I'm working to get my 2001 VX (260,000) roadworthy as we speak. Mine was worse than yours - showed it to a mate and he said they were VERY picky and most stuff is common of a car this age.

- Rear flex joint
- Centre bearing
- Engine mounts
- Bonnet release
- Wiper washer system
- Lower control arm inner bushes
- Lower control arm outer bushes
- Radius rod front bushes
- Radius rod rear bushes

I managed to fix all of that over a weekend or so, except the engine mounts (yet to attempt) and lower control arm inner bushes - I've removed the control arm from the car today and am up to removing the old bushes. It's a Sunday so no mechanic with a press is open, so I might have to call it a day.

I also had coolant and oil leaks noted but he put (A) which I guess means attention needed.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
540 sounds like bargain and the list shows its never been maintained very well.