Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roadside Assist?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
chemistry is not an opinion.
Your giving an opinion on peoples experiances and ACL, as am I.

Battery chemistry isn't the over riding issue here as chemistry alone doesn't explain the varied battery life you talk about :eek:

Given consumer experiences with batteries varies widely, as you've stated, a tribunal or court judge may still be swayed by the consumers argument around their expectations and how they were formed (where the judges own experience would help, especially if he's experienced car battery life at the high end of the spectrum). Arguments aroound chemistry from some unqualified seller may not carry as much weight as one thinks. I'd expect the consumer would prevail especially if a seller's argument on failures of a battery with such varied lifespan can't be simply explain by chemistry give that there is little to nothing stated in a vehicle owner's manuals or battery sales literature about how an owner best maintain, preserve and extend battery life of a modern lead calcium maintenance free battery... After all, it's maintenance free and the vehicle's smart electrical system looks after battery maintenance (with i think only 3 battery related messages that could be shown in the DIC). The vehicles smarts electrical system should ensure a long life ;)

Interestingly, the owner's manual only very briefly state a battery may discharge if the vehicle is not driven for 6 weeks (or 12 weeks if the battery is disconnected from the vehicle electonics) and that the battery should be fully changed before the vehicle is put into service... That's the only statement and still it's not related back to battery life... :eek: So there is nothing to form a buyers expectations anywhere :cool:

As i said, the law looks at what a reasonable consumer would expect with the product purchased. Your knowledge of battery chemistry may be correct, it may not be correct, but it's probably irrelevant as your understanding of ACL seems to be deficient.

Batteries are products covered by ACL, what you thing is acceptable or not in law is just your opinion, like mine ;) It would be an interesting case to read about. sadly most consumers no knothing about ACL and most would just bend over and take the shafting for the battery and tow if they had issues with their Holden after 18 months (cause the Holden warranty/service bookelet ssays so) :rolleyes: That seems to be the standard consumer approach with all manner of issues (including some who've payed for injectors, eps rack replacements, and such). They just don't know better and don't push for their rights in law... Luckily the swing has moved towards the consumers favour with ACL and it's just a matter of education :cool:

The situation may be different if, just before a purchase, the seller would run one through the expected life span of a battery and what should be done to not unnecessarily shorted its life. But that's never been the case in my experience (with car sellers or aftermarket battery purchases). There is nothing done by the seller other than to say how great their product is and how it's maintenance free...

But law is a funny thing, odd situations do occur, and it's not always logical or clear cut. The case that i like for reflecting absurdity of law (IMO) was that of a person who was charged with murder but convicted for attempted murder for shooting someone who was already dead.

So legally, cars/batteries/toasters are 100% covered by ACL and a varied product life (as the manufacturers portrais it) probably wouldn't be enough of an overriding factor. It's what a reasonable consumer would expect for that product :p

Me, if my car breaks down, I'd be calling Holden for a tow and warranty repair. If the battery was an issue, I'd be asking why it failed and I'd want proof that I'd neglected the vehicle in some way because it's well pampered. If they can't provide anything concrete, I'd expect they pay for repair and the tow.... Agree or disagree, it doesn't matter, I'd be foolish not to at least push for such instead of rolling over and taking their perspective as gospel and law ;)

However, it's all academic as I'd not be left on the side of the road wondering why my vehicle has failed :cool:
And in the rare situation it did break down, it was mentioned on this thread that I do have roadside assistance so towing costs aren't an issue :p