Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rocker Cover Gasket

Calloh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hi all, first post on the forums, looking for some help. I cant find anything related to it on these forums.

I'm looking at replacing my rocker cover gaskets on my 06 Omega, the passenger side is leaking oil onto (I think) the exhaust manifold, causing a huge amount of steam/smoke pouring out through the bonnet and through the air vents making it almost undrivable.

The only problem is I've got little to no experience with anything mechanical, though I've changed a couple of gaskets on extremely simple engines. I've been quoted $280 which seems alot to change a gasket or 2.

So my questions are:
Is it possible for someone fairly hopeless to change without causing problems?
Are there any guides on this site that I cant find?

Would really appreciate any replies and help.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I have not tried to do this on a VE, but for starters, have you had a decent look with the engine cover off to look at access to the "Rocker" cover gasket? This will give you a hint at what you're up against and you can then decide if it's worth having a go yourself or not.

If there is access available, you could try nipping up the existing gasket, but this is usually a non effective way of fixing this issue once it starts.

Old Holden red and blue motors have very easy access to these gaskets and done in 15 minutes, but I doubt our VE's are this easy with inlet manifolds and a thousand pipes to move/remove to gain access

Calloh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Yeah exactly. It looks fairly complicated though, I think with someone that has done it before willing to give me a heads up on any problems that might happen and a bit of guidance it should be okay.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Why intake gaskets?

To gain access to the rocker cover they need to remove the intake manifold , once it's off the gasket needs to be replaced , as it's a bastard to remove . The gasket that is , not the intake .

Calloh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
To gain access to the rocker cover they need to remove the intake manifold , once it's off the gasket needs to be replaced , as it's a bastard to remove . The gasket that is , not the intake .

Right. Starting to get a better idea now. After the intake manifold is off the access should be pretty straight forward? Have you done it before.