Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rocker cover gaskets leaking

VTS07

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VT S series II
Hey Guys,

Had a Lube Mobile mechanic out today to fix a few things on my car, he also mentioned that I have both rocker cover gaskets leaking. Is this something I should be able to do myself? is it just as simple as unbolting both rocker covers replacing the gaskets and bolting back up?

The service manual is saying I need to remove the spark plugs on the left cylinder head, disconnect the mass air flow sensor wiring and the tube and move them both out of the way. Is this a MUST or just for better work room?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Hey Guys,

Had a Lube Mobile mechanic out today to fix a few things on my car, he also mentioned that I have both rocker cover gaskets leaking. Is this something I should be able to do myself? is it just as simple as unbolting both rocker covers replacing the gaskets and bolting back up?

The service manual is saying I need to remove the spark plugs on the left cylinder head, disconnect the mass air flow sensor wiring and the tube and move them both out of the way. Is this a MUST or just for better work room?

Not that difficult really. Removing the MAF and intake tubing involved in just two large o-rings with and a screwdriver. How else would you gain access to the rocker cover bolts? Don't know about removing the spark plugs. That's news to me.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I think the removing of the spark plug LEADS would be to allow easier access as you have the TB and intake pipes on the left side.

When i was swapping my rockers I just took the TB off and took the rocker covers off that that... easy job.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Hey Guys,

The official holden service manyual does NOT say remove the spark plugs! It says this (for a N/A V6):

2. For left hand side rocker cover, disconnect spark plug leads from coil terminals.
Disconnect mass air flow sensor wiring, loosen air flow duct rubber boot clamps at throttle body and air cleaner and remove air flow duct. Carefully place air flow duct and mass air flow sensor assembly to one side.
Fold up/down locking tabs and remove the nut securing the dipstick tube to the exhaust manifold stud. Disconnect dipstick tube from stud and pull assembly from oil pan.
3. Disconnect spark plug lead retainers from spark plug lead support.

Other steps are pretty easy (basically just taking off rocker cover).

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
When you replace the gaskets, buy a bottle of Permatex rubber gasket stuff.
It comes in a small bottle with a brush inside it. (Its like a thick honey type paste).
Brush some of the permatex in the Groove of the Rocker cover where the gasket goes in, and then put the gasket in the groove. Then brush some more over the otherside of the gasket and then fit it to the cylinder head.
I always do this and never have any leaks. Gives a stonger seal.
Prior to using the Permatex, the gaskets would always leak again after a year or so and since using it, it has never leaked.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
oztech007, i personally hate the rubber gasket crap. I've never had any problems with FelPro gaskets! What pre-made gaskets were you getting?

All gaskets in my vehicle will now be FelPro because of the quality. I know FelPro head and inlet manifold gaskets that lasted more than 20 years in one performance vehicle. Only reason they didn't last longer was because they were replaced when YellaTerra performed a rebuild last year.

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
oztech007, i personally hate the rubber gasket crap. I've never had any problems with FelPro gaskets! What pre-made gaskets were you getting?

All gaskets in my vehicle will now be FelPro because of the quality. I know FelPro head and inlet manifold gaskets that lasted more than 20 years in one performance vehicle. Only reason they didn't last longer was because they were replaced when YellaTerra performed a rebuild last year.

Alien - Most people that don't know too much about cars would probably get their gaskets from Holden. These gaskets are usually the standard Rubber ones. If using these Gaskets, it works well with the Permatex gasket goo.
If you are of a more experienced mechanical person, (Obviously like yourself), you would probably go for an aftermarket performance gasket like you stated going from experience of the rubber ones leaking.
I have never had a problem with the rubber ones and using the permatex gasket goo with them. Had my rubber gaskets on my VY for 4 Years now and not a single leak.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

How much do the FelPro rocker cover gaskets cost? Mine are leaking and I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for some good stuff. Also where do you get them from? Ecotec engine.

-Adrian

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
And yes, i dont like the Holden crap, and dont like the goo "make yourself" type. I prefer the actual premade ones. Or if i'm working on someone else's car and i have time i'll make the gaskets myself from gasket paper. I just dont trust that goo crap, and i think the premades are easier too. But that's just me personally.

Not sure how much they cost, but i can tell you they arn't cheap, from memory they're close to $400 just for a head gasket kit.

Who stocks them? Well, thats a good question, most mechanics can order them for you. If you Google FelPro and look at the Aussie distributors. Not sure who stocks them in brisbane. Repco MIGHT be able to order them, not too sure.

#Brock

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammmed Slammed Blown VT SS 3:9 Shift Kitted
Thread dig! Mine are leaking a bit from the center bolts of the rocker covers, do the acl rubber gaskets come with seals for there