Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rocker cover gaskets

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
A mechanic recently mentioned to me that my driver's side rocker cover gasket needs replacing. I figure if they're not too expensive I'll do both at once . . . are they expensive? Could I fit them myself? (I've never taken the covers off before, so I don't know what's involved there . . .)

A couple of mates who own a VP and a VR also have this problem, so there's quite a saving if we could do the job ourselves . . .

Also, mine's a S1 VN V6 and theirs are the S2 (obviously) . . . did the gaskets change? I can't imagine they would have . . .

Any info appreciated.
Cheers
Sam

Goodloox_Nogutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR EXEC
Rocker cover gasket's are cheap as, just go to your local supercheap or autopro.
putting them in is extremely easy, just a couple off bolts to undo.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
all the oil will be a the bottom of you motor so you don't have to drain any oil. it would near on be one of the easiest job you will even have to do..

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
no u dont need to drain oil, just take the 6 bolts i think off and replace gasket, do both not just one

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
while were on the point of rocker covers, my passenger side cover has sort of blown out at the sides near the headers... now i know i definently have to replace the one side but does anyone know what could have done this?!?! i will take some photos of this arvo when i get home from school...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you can do 'em yourself. you don't need a torque wrench. don't over tighten then as all you'll you is sqwash the new gasket out from between the head and rocker cover and ruin it

Cogez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Series II VP Calais
I replaced my own rocker cover gaskets too, but apparently I ****ed it, coz a few months later I had a mondo oil leak, and failed my roadworthy check because of it :(