Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rockers upgrade

tiersum

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Equipe
hey all , currently have modded my commodore v6 with 2.5" sports exhaust with highflow cats and mufflers stage 2 shiftkit and extractors had it tuned i was wondering if high ratio rollerrockers would give me abit more power without going crazy and getting a cam and changing diff gears are they really worth it or not really cheers any input would be great cheers in advance

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The rockers are definitely worth it. I noticed you have a VS? If that's the case also look at getting some plenum spacers from the site sponsor Mace. Should help a bit.

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
hey all , currently have modded my commodore v6 with 2.5" sports exhaust with highflow cats and mufflers stage 2 shiftkit and extractors had it tuned i was wondering if high ratio rollerrockers would give me abit more power without going crazy and getting a cam and changing diff gears are they really worth it or not really cheers any input would be great cheers in advance

Really have to think about this - lots of problems in the past with cam bearings in the V6 any extra load is only going to make it worse - I would be going with another cam & memcal package & replace the timing chain with a double row & disable the balance shaft.

The manifold spacer only lengthens the inlet ports - cooling does BA - if you fit a bell mouth inside you can go even longer & get more power.

I am running 3.7 ratio diff & it works great - you also have to fit a speedo conversion in at the Trans so the ecu & speedo knows whats going on

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
What the hell are you on about? The whole point is to give you that bit more runner space and plenum space. Cooling isn't really what it's for... If you were to do as you say, you would be looking at close to 3k. Yeah not going crazy.... Hopefully Steve from Mace sees this thread and has a few words. He's the man when it comes to V6 modifications.

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Excutive Turbo, 00 VT Olympic Edition

Last edited:

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
R u all there????? Read his post, u just told him what he does not wanna do lol....

IMO the mods u have listed tiersum are all good and worth it & im sure anyone on here that has done these mods will tell u the same.... As it was said check out MACE, u will get what u need there....

Sit there & laugh - Do what you will - I don't really care & I couldn't give a FF what Mace thinks as they (if they where engineers) would have to agree - but in 12 months time when your motors shot - because it has no oil pressure - I will be sitting here saying I told you so & if your paying three grand for a cam & timing chain - you need a new mechanic. Go have a look at any engine reconditioning shop at the cam bearings being flogged out with normal use alone. Heaps of cabs here have had to replace motors alone because of this problem. By fitting different ratio roller rockers & especially valve springs - your loading up the camshaft - it creates a hell of a lot more load on the bearings & the camshaft. I know what I an talking about as I have the qualifications which is 30 odd years of working on all sorts of vehicles & having my own shop for 14 of those. I have seen the problems - where are your qualifications to comment ????

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
The point of the Bell mouths is because the spacer only goes so far 12mm or whatever & if you have your motor in something else - such as a Hilux like I do - you cant fit one because of the bonnet clearance - with a bell mouth inside you can go much further than 12 mm & get even better benefits than what the spacer will give you - if you do not understand that then your not as smart as you make out...

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
What the hell are you on about? The whole point is to give you that bit more runner space and plenum space. Cooling isn't really what it's for... If you were to do as you say, you would be looking at close to 3k. Yeah not going crazy.... Hopefully Steve from Mace sees this thread and has a few words. He's the man when it comes to V6 modifications.

You don't need more plenum space - you need longer runners & the bell mouths will give you far more length than the spacer & far better results - I can't fit a spacer as I have no bonnet clearance left

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Getting back on track here, i had 1.98.1 yellaterra rockers on my vs and they were deff worth it, one of the best bolt ons for the ecotec, i had them on for over 3 yrs and no problems

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
You don't need more plenum space - you need longer runners & the bell mouths will give you far more length than the spacer & far better results - I can't fit a spacer as I have no bonnet clearance left
Can you explain about bellmouths in ecotecs?

I know what a bellmouth is but I dont understand the concept, you have one for each intake hole on the manifold? If it gives you more runner length could it be combined with the spacers to give you even more again?