Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rockers upgrade

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Sounds like you're imply it there is all.

With a carby, it is better to have some temperature in the air to help atomise and combust the petrol.
It is better to be slightly warmer then what a car with EFI needs it to be.

If the air temp is right and the fuel atomises properly it will make more power then with "cold" air. It is possible for the fuel to pool in the manifold of a carbied car.

Ah yep, that N/A was supposed to EFI... that's one way for me to look like a retard.

And I agree, in a carby engine you the air as cool as possible so that the fuel "atomises" properly. But HOT air as what's his face said doesn't make more HP than the coolest possible air in the carby situation.

I think we're all essentially on the same page if we replace Bpefi statment that Hot air makes mor HP with something more along the lines of "In carby engines having the air as cool as possible without going too cold and compromising fuel atomisation makes the most HP" going hotter is going to drop HP because you won't get the most air density into the cylinder and going colder will cause a HP drop because the fuel won't atomise effectively.

Therefore, in the specific case of a carby engine, you want the air as cold as possible but the limiting factor is fuel atomisation. If this factor was to be overcome then the goal would be to get the air cooler again.

But in all cases, HOT air = bad.

Can we all agree on that? lol.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ah the pooling in the manifold is only an issue with big carbs and single plane manifolds with big cams :p. Very limited problem that I've seen.

Ah,right.It would probably happen more at idle or low revs too, when theres not a real lot of flow.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Yeah thats it, with big cam and idle. Just not enough flow to pull it all through.

Probably means the carb isn't tuned right. But then Those cars neve got grannied.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I think jesterarts has hit the nail on the head with his last post.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
My understanding is that carburettors can't adjust the mixture to compensate for changes in air temperature/density so they can only benefit from colder air over a limited range ie until the fuel mixture leans out too much. This is why some older cars had a thermostat to mix heated and non heated air to try and keep the intake air temp within a set range and also it's why jets need to be changed dending on the altitude carby cars are used etc.
There is no point using a CAI on a carby car if it causes the carby to ice up which will happen in some atmospheric conditions, even well above freezing because the action of air expanding after the throttle butterfly and vapourising fuel taking more heat out of the air can cause temperature drops of 20 deg. or more. It does not have to be below zero for a carby to ice up as the temperature in a carby due to these factors can drop well bellow zero and if the air has the right moisture content this moisture will freeze in the carby. I usually do read up on things before posting.

Last edited:

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Ah yep, that N/A was supposed to EFI... that's one way for me to look like a retard.

And I agree, in a carby engine you the air as cool as possible so that the fuel "atomises" properly. But HOT air as what's his face said doesn't make more HP than the coolest possible air in the carby situation.

I think we're all essentially on the same page if we replace Bpefi statment that Hot air makes mor HP with something more along the lines of "In carby engines having the air as cool as possible without going too cold and compromising fuel atomisation makes the most HP" going hotter is going to drop HP because you won't get the most air density into the cylinder and going colder will cause a HP drop because the fuel won't atomise effectively.

Therefore, in the specific case of a carby engine, you want the air as cold as possible but the limiting factor is fuel atomisation. If this factor was to be overcome then the goal would be to get the air cooler again.

Not sure if the correct term is atomising or vapourising. From what I have read the fuel would atomizse and then vapourise? Perhaps someone can advise? Having the intake air too cold on a carby car can also cause icing if the air has sufficient moisture content because the air expands as it goes through the carby and gets colder, the fuel vapourising also removes more heat so with an ambient air temp well above freezing the air can still go below zero once it is in the carby/inlet manifold and if the air has enough moisture this will freeze and block up the carby effecting air flow and mixture which may result in a loss of power. so the limiting factors as far as air temp for a carby engine are many and varied and not just about fuel vapourisation. I'd suggest the following are also probably applicable;

1. air temp too cold to the point of effecting the mixture and taking it beyond the ideal range.
2. air temp too cold causing icing of sufficiently humid air, which in turn reduces the venturi diameter which not only limits air flow but richens the mixture especially if it's a 2 barrel and the secondary opens.

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Heres god,oh, I mean wortus,now everyone listen up,hes right and everyone else here is wrong.Every time I post something ,this clown posts that hes right, and what Ive posted is wrong.All because I disagreed on some things he said once ages ago,he got proved wrong, and bubby there didnt like it..Just the other day he got abusive and started **** over what Id posted in another thread.If you dont like what I post,IGNORE IT.You make yourself out to be a a fool arguing about what I have posted,go away,no one wants idiots on here that carry on like this about what people have said in their posts.Your just trying to start arguments on here again,like your comment about reading stuff.Anyway Id say the only experience you have had is reading about it..And I was apologising to BPEF who was posting before about the hot air,I didnt mean to offend him.

Last edited:

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore

The definition of HOT air may be very different to many people, a 5-10 degree hike in temperature may be considered to be hot temperatures for some!!
Also on the topic why are there many companies out there that make (hot air intakes)?? answer me that!

The man was right in essence, and what did he get for it? Absolutely NOTHING apart from being shut down by a lot of people that think they know every single thing in the world about cars!

This man says he has had 35yrs in the industry, more time there than what some of you have been on this earth! I'm sure he knew what he is talking about, and probably could of helped out a lot of people with handy info, but now is most likely not come on this forum ever again!!

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Not sure if the correct term is atomising or vapourising. From what I have read the fuel would atomizse and then vapourise? Perhaps someone can advise? Having the intake air too cold on a carby car can also cause icing if the air has sufficient moisture content because the air expands as it goes through the carby and gets colder, the fuel vapourising also removes more heat so with an ambient air temp well above freezing the air can still go below zero once it is in the carby/inlet manifold and if the air has enough moisture this will freeze and block up the carby effecting air flow and mixture which may result in a loss of power. so the limiting factors as far as air temp for a carby engine are many and varied and not just about fuel vapourisation. I'd suggest the following are also probably applicable;

1. air temp too cold to the point of effecting the mixture and taking it beyond the ideal range.
2. air temp too cold causing icing of sufficiently humid air, which in turn reduces the venturi diameter which not only limits air flow but richens the mixture especially if it's a 2 barrel and the secondary opens.

Heres god,oh, I mean wortus,now everyone listen up,hes right and everyone else here is wrong.Every time I post something ,this clown posts that hes right, and what Ive posted is wrong.All because I disagreed on some things he said once ages ago,he got proved wrong, and bubby there didnt like it..Just the other day he got abusive and started **** over what Id posted in another thread.If you dont like what I post,IGNORE IT.You make yourself out to be a a fool arguing about what I have posted,go away,no one wants idiots on here that carry on like this about what people have said in their posts.Your just trying to start arguments on here again,like your comment about reading stuff.Anyway Id say the only experience you have had is reading about it..

Was he reply to your post NO, so lay off the piss mate and go to bed!!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Was he reply to your post NO, so lay off the piss mate and go to bed!!

You idiot,he quoted my post in his post,whats he just do that for the fun of it does he,jeez.Oh and I dont drink. Maybe I should take it up so I can be on the same mental level as some of the people on here.