Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roll racing - front runners

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Been doing steady engine improvements and not much left to do on our budget. Looking at other aspects and just sorted out some small wheels and semi-slicks to get more traction and see more and more cars running skinnies on the front. Anyone been able to quantify if they reduce rolling resistance to a point where they are worthwhile? The car has Harrop Ultimates so the skinnies will need to clear them - probably 20's as they wouldn't fit inside 19's in standard VF wheels

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I didn't think it was about rolling resistance, although that would be reduced but about saving weight.

Reactions: Lex

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
I didn't think it was about rolling resistance, although that would be reduced but about saving weight.
Thanks for the response - weight is a serious consideration. We keep the car as standard / presentable as we can with nothing other than the spare stripped out but a Calais wagon against a ute does have a fair weight penalty. Switching the rears is going to save around 30 kg so to do all 4 would be a serious help but offset is the grip under serious braking at the end of the run.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
A year ago cleetus McFarland had failed chutes on a 225mph run when he test drove a 6sec pro mod. Car pulled up before the sand trap. You've got bigger brakes to help with the heat. A slick skinny would still have a reasonable friction co-efficient all be it less than the factory tyre width. Logic makes me say go for it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A year ago cleetus McFarland had failed chutes on a 225mph run when he test drove a 6sec pro mod. Car pulled up before the sand trap. You've got bigger brakes to help with the heat. A slick skinny would still have a reasonable friction co-efficient all be it less than the factory tyre width. Logic makes me say go for it.

Those pro-mods probably have much better rear brakes to match the different traction characteristics of a drag car but on the flip side you'll be lucky to be going about half as fast as that pro-mod did. I guess it'll be an experience thing finding how much brake pressure you can use with skinnies on the front.

They sell TBM brakes and on their kits they have single pot front calipers and twin spot rears.

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for the info. I'll look into it as althought we are just over 200k's at the end of the run, the upside is there is a decent run-off distance. I'll get some info re the options & see if I can calculate the wheel & tyre combined weight saving & figure out if it will be a worthwhile gain. If it looks good I'll post here so we can all share the info.