Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roller rocker noise

hN!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03
I was doing some mace roller rockers on another commodore Every thing was going to plan except for 2 of the roller rockers I would try and torque them to 23 But they just kept tightening up. I would even redo one of the others again and it would tighten up and stop at 23nm Where as these other 2 just keep going untill the valve spring is compressed :( Anybody got any idea why this is happening ? I tried re insterting the pushrod no luck.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
You might have to rotate the engine over via the balancer as there may be too much loads on the springs

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you need to rotate the engine so that the valves are closed when you torque up the rocker bolts

bigneilsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
i didnt have a problem. i didnt turn the engine over. although the rockers for cylinder 6 were almost if not fully compressed

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you won't get a accurate torque reading when tightening the rocker bolts if you need to compress the valve spring before the rocker bottoms out on the pedestal and the bolt locks up.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
you won't get a accurate torque reading when tightening the rocker bolts if you need to compress the valve spring before the rocker bottoms out on the pedestal and the bolt locks up.

Yep spot on, you need the lifter on the back of the cam lobe.

hN!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03
After rotating the engine and retorquing the 2 problem rockers they now line up with the others not compressed to the max. 22nm Didn't seem tight but i'm sure its tight enough as instructed.

Thanks

bigneilsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
i was told because of the hydraulic cam and hydraulic lifters that the ecotec uses this isnt nessecary. surely if it was a problem i would of encountered it by 8000km of driving and a fair bit of flogging

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
For accurate torquing down of bolts, the lifters should be on the back of the cam. The hydraulic lifters have a fair amount of leeway but for the sake of 20 extra minutes I would do it properly. If the bolts are too lose then you risk a lot. If they are too tight then unless its so tight that the valve is open when it shouldn't then its not a massive issue, because as I said the lifters have a good leeway.