Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roller rockers for the V6 Ecotec.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Im looking at a set of 1.9 roller rockers for my emotec. Im not 100% sure if i want to spend the $500 for them. It would either be the roller rockers or a cam. I already have the following mods:
L67 CAI
Mace 12mm insulator and spacer
Mace 70mm throttle body
Mace 82deg thermostat
Entire manifold and plenum, bored, port matched all the way to the heads and internals polished.
VT injectors
Custom tune
Pacemacker extrators to custom y-piece (not cut and modded stock one) to a standard cat to a custom made 2.5" cat back to single tip

I have read the listing over and over again trying to figure out if i want them or not. Beut i still have some questions
I understand gains of 10 to 16kw can be had, but roughly what gains would i achieve with the rest?
Does my fuel eco go up or down with these?
Does it change the exhaust note?
If someone heard the car idling, could they tell their done?
Basicly im wanting more power, but dont want people to notice i have these in there. Im wanting to set up a nice little sleeper. I know a cam would destroy that plan, but i figure i would have better gains from it and the idle of the cam i want is orgasmic.

What are some other members experiances and comments with these?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
this from another thread:

so stock ratio is 1.6 and stock intake lift is .258 so valve lift is 412.8

lol, 1.9.. anyway, that means your intake now lifts at 490.2 .. which is a mild V8 cam, pushing the limits of LT1 springs... except now you dont have the benefit of the slower ramp rate. your valves are basically just switching off and back on. mate. i reallllllly hope you checked your pushrod length to make sure your rocker is starting right at the back of the valve tip. there is gonna be some pretty significant side loading on the valves with that amount of extra lift

1.9's are basically a cam swap. low end power will suffer for the gain of top end. however if your intake cant breathe to the new rpm then you will lose power across the board.

id like to see an accurate dyno of 1.9's advertised power increase.

dont forget to check your pushrod length and check of side loading on the valves. wearing out K-lines from side loading will make it puff smoke and burn oil.

having said all that, there are plenty of mang Vee sixes out there where the driver has just bolted it straight on with no checks and no problems and "loads more power" lol.

MACE

Reaction score
this from another thread:

1.9's are basically a cam swap. low end power will suffer for the gain of top end. however if your intake cant breathe to the new rpm then you will lose power across the board.

id like to see an accurate dyno of 1.9's advertised power increase.

dont forget to check your pushrod length and check of side loading on the valves. wearing out K-lines from side loading will make it puff smoke and burn oil.

having said all that, there are plenty of mang Vee sixes out there where the driver has just bolted it straight on with no checks and no problems and "loads more power" lol.

Ari,

There have been heaps of independent tests of this product over the years, by enthusiasts across the board. I genuinely would have no problems submitting any set of rockers for testing in a mag, in fact that will be happening over the next few months in SC

In regards to bottom end suffering it's not really the case with the 1.9's more so with the 1.98's; it's usually more then offset by the improvements in part throttle response due to the reduction in pumping loses associated with higher lift rockers.

This also is the case with LSX engines as well, where bottom end torque isn't negatively impacted with the 1.9's as well. Bare in mind that we've also played around with 2.15:1 ratio rockers with this family of engine as well.

As for the other questions

"I understand gains of 10 to 16kw can be had, but roughly what gains would i achieve with the rest?"
Gains would be around that mark

"Does my fuel eco go up or down with these?
Generally no, depending on how it's driven

"Does it change the exhaust note?"
A small amount but would have to know how the car sounded before

"If someone heard the car idling, could they tell their done?"
Generally no, unless they had extensive experience with subtle V6 exhaust notes

"Basicly im wanting more power, but dont want people to notice i have these in there. Im wanting to set up a nice little sleeper. I know a cam would destroy that plan, but i figure i would have better gains from it and the idle of the cam i want is orgasmic."
These would be applicable based on your requirements

"What are some other members experiances and comments with these?"
I'm sure people with direct first hand experience will be able to comment shortly

Hope this helps,

If you have any more questions please hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks FOr the Replys Ari and Steve.

If bottom end is effect by these im not 100% sure i would like them. Its more bottom end i want as i rarly get pasted the speed limits.
Im still leaning towards them, but would like to hear other members opinions as well as not all engines are the same so their may be mixed results.

Unless someone else can be recommended for down low power (without going FI), i would like to here your suggestions.
I had thought about replacing the injectors, coils and DFI with brand new components as well as getting myself a MACE CAI, they would improve it abit, but im trying to stretch my dollar here (i know its impossible, but i like options). Cheers

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I've got 1.9s on a supercharged 6 and it didn't feel like it lost any low down but the biggest gains were felt over 3-3500RPM.

I've had them on for several years and many thousand k's with no issues so its been good value from my $500

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks for yoru input mate. As it sits now, 2500rpm would be where the car really takes off at (suspect that something isnt running right, either spark or fuel). I say that because at 2000rpm its slugish then soon as it hits 2500rpm it takes off like a rocket, exhaust note changes and sometimes will light up the rears (which is a bloody pain in the arse). This is in second gear too that this happens.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
All I can say Jesse is I`m happy with Mace CAI and rockers mate.

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator
I got a set last month and they are the bees knees. Highly recommend them. I drove my mates stock VX the other day and compared to my VS it just felt like utter s**t. I have similar mods to what you have and i can tell you that you wont be disappointed with the rockers.

MACE

Reaction score
Thanks for yoru input mate. As it sits now, 2500rpm would be where the car really takes off at (suspect that something isnt running right, either spark or fuel). I say that because at 2000rpm its slugish then soon as it hits 2500rpm it takes off like a rocket, exhaust note changes and sometimes will light up the rears (which is a bloody pain in the arse). This is in second gear too that this happens.

This is fairly typical of the ecotec V6 engine which unlike the Buick 3800 V6 engine needs a few revs before it starts to make power. To improve low rpm torque I would recommend our 25mm manifold spacer as it improves torque right from idle combined with the 12mm plenum spacer for best results.

I would also recommend cleaning the MAF sensor as your engine seems to come on really hard which is also unusual unless something isn't quite right. Another problem that can cause this is a faulty TPS sensor, basically the PCM doesn't see the throttle increase and is responding instead to increased airflow (seen by the MAF) and so it takes a bit for the PCM to catch up.

The 1.9 high ratio rockers generally tend to increase power from mid rpm range up. Economy wise it comes down to how the car is driven, but to put a different perspective on it, X amount of power is required to propel the car forward at Y speed so although the high ratio rockers let the cylinders breather more efficiently you still only need X amount of power at Y speed and you control this using the throttle. To create X amount of power you need Z amount of fuel which won't change (unless you alter the tune) so basically speaking, at cruise speeds economy won't be effected :)

Cheers
Bart