Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[253] Roller rockers keep coming loose.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Since putting the 253 together a few weeks back, it has been started a handful of times. Hasn't been raced yet. About a week ago we had to tighten the roller rockers back down coz they were all coming loose. This time used loctite on the bolts....but 2day it sounds like they are loosening again.

What are we doing wrong? We don't torque them, just tighten them to what feels good. What are the torque settings for roller rockers, coz we'll torque them down this time and see if that helps. They are Yella Terra std ratio roller rockers on Yella Terra heads.

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
are they adjustable

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Yeah but for now we're only using a hydraulic setup so haven't played with the adjustments as I don't think there's any need to (I thought the lifters compensate for any adjustments needed). They use to be on a daily driver apparently and we're using the same heads and pushrods.

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
If they are adjustable are you locking up the allen key grub screw in the middle of the rocker.

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
exactly wat i was going to say

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Here's a pic...when we put them on, plus re-tightened them we done up the bolt in the middle of the pivot point. Didn't touch the ones on the end as we didn't wanna mess anything up lol.

To adjust them, I've heard ya do the screws up until zero lash, then do another half turn....and that's the ballpark. If they aren't adjusting properly could they be working loose? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but would ya loosen the nut, adjust the screw, then tighten the nut back down without moving the screw?

58658d1232967044-yella-terra-heads-roller-rockers-253-308-dscf4002-640x480-.jpg

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
I am used to the stud mounted and adjustable rockers but the same principle applies.
Once you have tourqued down the middle main bolt you adjust the pushrod adjustment till you remove up/down freeplay and add up to 1/2 turn. Of course this is carried out with the piston at TDC.
You are correct in saying that you hold the allen key adjustment bolt/grub screw whilst nipping up the lock nut.