Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roller rockers useless?

junkwaffle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Sac commodore series 2
I got told today that any high ratio roller rockers are useless because from VR models and upwards come factory with them? And even if i did get them i'd have to do cam work.
And i was told this by a mechanic, who would presumebly want my money.

Is he honest or in need of a mental home?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Mental home.

1. Higher ratio roller rockers worked a treat on my old VX
2. The whole point of High Ratio RR's is they are a cheap, good bang for buck, alternative for a cam. They can't give you quite as good a performance boost as a cam, but for a basic bolt on they are the beez neez.

So yes, the mechanic that told you this is in need of a mental home. :)

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Gains are minimal compared to a cam, better off using the money to install a cam that does the same as the rockers would and more.
will require a tune tho.

Rockers no tune.

junkwaffle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Sac commodore series 2
I also priced how much it would cost to fix my bloody annoying tapets or lifters, whichever one is making that horrible noise and he said it's useless because there's not much point putting in new lifters and keeping an old cam. Might as well get a reconditioned ecotec?
What exactly do the roller rockers do?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I also priced how much it would cost to fix my bloody annoying tapets or lifters, whichever one is making that horrible noise and he said it's useless because there's not much point putting in new lifters and keeping an old cam. Might as well get a reconditioned ecotec?
What exactly do the roller rockers do?

RR's increase the lift of the values, so they open more and allow more gases in/out more freely. Durations are unchanged with RR's though, this is where a cam comes into it's own.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Gains are minimal compared to a cam, better off using the money to install a cam that does the same as the rockers would and more.
will require a tune tho.

Rockers no tune.

it really depends on what people want. the right high ratio roller rockers can give better gains then some small duration cam packages (read crow stage 1 and 2 etc).

if you want to make large power gains and alter the engine characteristics then a cam is the way to go. if you want a reasonable power increase but don't want the hassle that a cam involves and want to maintain factory style engine characteristics then rockers (as well as the other great range of bolt-ons for the V6) are a good option

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Thats why I went with R/R and have taken out the SS cai and got a mace cai kit and are very happy with both.
Good bang for buck.
Thanks Steve for your help.
Cheers Pete.
PS. Steve I added washers on to the lid looks better I think.

Attachments

• box_3.jpg
    box_3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 280

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
it really depends on what people want. the right high ratio roller rockers can give better gains then some small duration cam packages (read crow stage 1 and 2 etc).

if you want to make large power gains and alter the engine characteristics then a cam is the way to go. if you want a reasonable power increase but don't want the hassle that a cam involves and want to maintain factory style engine characteristics then rockers (as well as the other great range of bolt-ons for the V6) are a good option

So are you saying that RRs can make better gains than a smaller cam package, so it would only be viable to go with some sort of space-flight-equipped-extreme cam package and not RRs. but then you of course have to factor in a tune etc.

I'm sussing this out for my v6, can anyone recommend a good cam package and explain how it would affect drive-ability, power, torque, etc

sorry if this is hijacking your thread? sort of ontopic though