Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roller Rockers V8 5 LITRE

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Hey guys i am justing wanting to find out a bit more about roller rockers for the holden v8 304 ?

What are the improvements on tourque,power and all out increase with Yella Terra Roller Rockers? Is this an expensive job?

Has any one done this to there 5 Litre or have prices,dyno figures or stats on the upgrade or ever got valve bounce?

Cheers guys, just looking @ my options and familiarising my self with what is out there for my application as many of you would know my cam upgrade is not too far away. :bow:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
subdue said:
Hey guys i am justing wanting to find out a bit more about roller rockers for the holden v8 304 ?

What are the improvements on tourque,power and all out increase with Yella Terra Roller Rockers? Is this an expensive job?

Has any one done this to there 5 Litre or have prices,dyno figures or stats on the upgrade or ever got valve bounce?

Cheers guys, just looking @ my options and familiarising my self with what is out there for my application as many of you would know my cam upgrade is not too far away. :bow:
If it was me go the cam and if you go roller rockers just use the standard ratio ones. Roller rockers are only really needed with lifts of .500" and higher or if you will be reving it above 5500rpm for long periods.
AirStrike :air:

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Roller rockers are cheap insurance, i have seen stock 5 litres break standard rockers. Benifits are much stronger, less wear on valves, and believe it or not makes an engine more responsive because there is no friction with a roller rockers. IMO anything with more lift than standard should have aftermarket roller rockers!

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
cheers VN CALAIS 5 Litre

Is it worth the $ and trouble to put em in

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Cam Specs

Here is my cam specs

Crane 276 Camshaft

HYDRAULIC - Good idle with lope, mid-upper rev range improvements while maintaining strong bottom end torque, best in twin throttle body vehicles. Use with all normal modifications or as GROUP A replacement.:unsure:

BASIC RPM 1800-4500

Part Number: 883941

Deg & 0.50 Cam Lift Int / Ext 214

Deg Adv Duration Int / Ext 276

Deg Lobe Sep 110

Open/Close @ .050" Cam Lift Int./Ex. 2 - 32 42 - (8)

Lash Hot Int./Ex .000

Gross Lift Int./Ex .464 .46

Crane Anti Pump Lifters :coolpimp:
LT1 Springs

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
With the Crane 276 i would definately be putting roller rockers on! Roller rockers are worth the money when it comes to aftermarket/bigger camshafts. If you run the standard ratio there wont actually be a power difference but the engine will rev and respond quicker and have less wear on the valvetrain. Its no trouble to put roller rockers on a 5 litre you can buy bolt on adjustable ones from Yella Terra that are a direct replacement for the standard rockers. I am putting a Crow stage 3 in my 5 litre and im putting roller rockers so with the 276 put roller rockers on, you will never look back.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
thanks mate, i will get a quote!

geardys

GEARDY
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 v8 ute 5sp
compression ratio

i put roller rockers on my std 5.0L. i found that they did help higher up in the rev range(2,500+) but the motor seemed to loss a little torque lower in the rpm range, below 2,000 rpm.
so i took them off and they are sitting in my shed. There yella terra adj.

the std rocker arms are good till 6100 - 6200 rpm.

also with ur cam have u thought about changing the compression ratio in ur engine or the manifold.

i was talking to a local bloke who's a very very good mechanic and uses a dyno who reckons that a similar cam (the crow stage 2) will do bugger all on the std comp. he has seen that cam swap that haven't done anything apart from make it sound different. he said u need to up the compression to 9.0:1-10.0:1 before the cam makes results. also the std comp and manifold don't really allow the engine to make good power over 5,000rpm.

if anyone has had different experiences then let us know because i have stoped the plan for a cam swap due to this. :rofl:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
when you get a replacement cam, follow the cam manufacturers guidelines for compresion etc, get your heads flow tested and give them the info about your setup etc + your goals as they will be able to tell you if its realistic. however a simple guide is bigger cam = more compression.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
immortality said:
when you get a replacement cam, follow the cam manufacturers guidelines for compresion etc, get your heads flow tested and give them the info about your setup etc + your goals as they will be able to tell you if its realistic. however a simple guide is bigger cam = more compression.
Thanks mate ill let my engineer know on that. :) I will be getting a Hydraylic Cam, i dont wanna be adjusting rockers every couple of weeks LOL