Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rolling clunking noise when accelerating in first and seccond. Diff bushes?

MrPotatoHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve
So i started the car this morning and off i go, noise starts when hard acceleration from 1st, starts at around 2000 rpm and gets extreme at 3000 rpm, and the same in 2nd, it's like a low pitch thumping rolling noise coming from the rear, it shakes the car and can only be heard inside so it isn't heaps loud, i have to drive extremely slow in both gears so it doesnt happen. I thought it was something in the boot so i removed tool kit and other little things and ot was still there. Booked in for the mechanic tomorrow but can't stop thinking about it, been told it could be the diff or transmission problems. I don't really have any mechanical experience and car is too low to get under it to have a look (not that i would know what i was looking at anyway tbh)
Better off telling you guys the truth about me not knowing anything rather than acting like i do. Just need a bit of help with working it out is all.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Don't worry too much must be your centre bearing or shaft's rubber doughnut..

MrPotatoHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve
Thanks mate, had to rebook mechanic because i had to work friday so ill be headed to the mechanic in about 4 hours and I've just read up about the drive shaft and im pretty certain thats exactly where the problem is, this just gives me a hogher certainty cheers mate

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I feel like i have something similar. Its like low thuding rolling sound BUT only happens when I start the car up and the first time going into 2nd gear between like 2000-3000 rpm. After that one time I will never hear it again no matter how many times I go into 2nd until I turn the car off and back on. Its wierd. I did add a car amp / sub just before I started noticing the sound and thought it was related to that since it only happens that one time after start up. Infact I think I might disconnect it just to rule it out

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Get it fixed ASAP. If it centre bearing goes altogether you can damage the shaft and put it out of balance, they can go off without notice and with a hell of a bang.