Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Ron Burgundy" 08' VE Omega.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds dodgy, but I don't have my horn right now because I have problems with my alarm, but I need my horn. Is there a way I can disable my car alarm so I can use my horn?

reason I pulled the horn fuse is because my alarm goes off everytime I unlock and open my door, with the horn blaring. But it's dangerous not having a horn, too many d**kheads in brissy

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Sounds dodgy, but I don't have my horn right now because I have problems with my alarm, but I need my horn. Is there a way I can disable my car alarm so I can use my horn?

reason I pulled the horn fuse is because my alarm goes off everytime I unlock and open my door, with the horn blaring. But it's dangerous not having a horn, too many d**kheads in brissy
Is it an aftermarket alarm or the factory immobiliser? I’ve heard that if your batteries are flat in your key that the alarm will start going off as the key can’t communicate with the car BCM.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it an aftermarket alarm or the factory immobiliser? I’ve heard that if your batteries are flat in your key that the alarm will start going off as the key can’t communicate with the car BCM.
I replaced the batteries a couple of times and unfortunately doesn't work. My central locking in general is doing weird stuff so I use my spare/manual key. Just waiting to see what happens with these new key laws to bother getting my new one cut and paired.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
I replaced the batteries a couple of times and unfortunately doesn't work. My central locking in general is doing weird stuff so I use my spare/manual key. Just waiting to see what happens with these new key laws to bother getting my new one cut and paired.
When i bought my 2010 ve, the unlock button was crapped out. Had to unlock via the key. With a worn out key blade nonetheless. Would take up to 15 seconds to get the key to turn in the ignition. But my horn never blared. Just bipped every second til i turned the key. That got old quick. After replacing the shell, i realised that the internals of the button had collapsed. Went to the wreckers and picked up a second hand key assembly for like $10-20 and got it programmed by one of those mister minit kiosks for $35. Also fyi, a 2 button remote can be programmed to a car that had 3 before. You just lose your boot button.

If your key blade isnt worn out and still turns good in the ignition, you wont need a new one cut. When programming, they have 2 options. The key transponder which needs to have 2 programmed to the car, and the central locking fob, which as i mentioned above, is cheap and easy to replace

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Your car isn’t roadworthy, that is it won’t pass a safety certificate. Without a functioning horn, as such, it’s illegal for it to be on the road.

And it’s illegal to drive because it’s dangerous as you already recognise. Worse, in a smash where someone is seriously injured or killed, the police would be checking the vehicle for safety related defects which can make things unpleasan.

So, in a place you say is full of diskheads, I’d be fixing it without delay and without concern about button batteries issues. As is, a dealer must be able to sort it out what the cause is without too much cost.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
When i bought my 2010 ve, the unlock button was crapped out. Had to unlock via the key. With a worn out key blade nonetheless.
I believe @stoogle made a post in some thread I can’t find which identified the button part number, pics of the key fob circuit board and how to test & replace the button. The button was heap as chips and the fix easy to do… but couldn’t find the thread…

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
I believe @stoogle made a post in some thread I can’t find which identified the button part number, pics of the key fob circuit board and how to test & replace the button. The button was heap as chips and the fix easy to do… but couldn’t find the thread…
Yeah the problem ive found is that the buttons are not just soldered but also glued to the pcb. Makes removing them with no damage a bit difficult. If i knew the button part number i would be tempted to solder one on the contacts for the boot button on my remote as i can see the pads there to solder to

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your car isn’t roadworthy, that is it won’t pass a safety certificate. Without a functioning horn, as such, it’s illegal for it to be on the road.

And it’s illegal to drive because it’s dangerous as you already recognise. Worse, in a smash where someone is seriously injured or killed, the police would be checking the vehicle for safety related defects which can make things unpleasan.

So, in a place you say is full of diskheads, I’d be fixing it without delay and without concern about button batteries issues. As is, a dealer must be able to sort it out what the cause is without too much cost.
I'm aware about the law with it, It's a silly one, you can't use your horn otherwise you get a fine, but you will be fucked with insurance if you don't have one. Just gives me the shits. The dealer originally was tryin to fix the problem but the first 2 times miss diagnosed it, then too it for another full day, couldn't fix it. Then ordered a brand new key, took the car for another full day just to get told the mechanic pulled a sickie. Whenever I had the day/time to get it done, there mechanic was off or sick. So I just grabbed the key and just waiting for a day to get it sorted as I have to travel for work. So hard to be without the car sadly.