Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Ron Burgundy" 08' VE Omega.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
I post enough on here so thought I would open a thread on my ride.

Purchased my 08' Omega a few months back after the 2022 February floods in Brisbane. Lost my little Corolla in the wet, kind of a blessing in disguise as I got to get something I can get my hands dirty with.

08' VE Omega - Aftermarket dual fuel. (Have never ran LPG since purchase)

Colour - Burgundy (Hence the name :D)
Engine - 3.6L Alloy LE0 - 85K on the ODO
- SAAS Catch can
- Custom intake tubing (original airbox, soon to have pod filter)
- K&N Filter
- PCV Mod with new hosing
- EVC idrive Throttle controller
- J pipe muffler delete (Stock rear resonator was blocked)

As you do when in the hunt for a vehicle, took it for a test drive (was only aloud to run up and down the street, no more than 60KM P/H). Never driven a VE so wasn't too sure on what to expect and what to compare too as the only other Holden I ever drove was a 04' VY Spac, loved that thing. Got back to the dealers, did the usual check overs, everything was nice and clean apart from a dent in the boot and a few scratches in the paint. Went ahead with the purchase for 9K, thought it was a bargain. Unfortunately at the time couldn't afford extended warranty.

The following weekend me and the partner went for a drive up the coast to see how it went over distance and on the motorways. Admittedly the thing drives beautifully, with the only problem being an insane vibration/shutter/wobble from front to back at low revs in 4th, to this day still trying to figure it out. Since having the throttle controller it has helped with the car dropping down a gear rather than just holding itself in 4th. I Have rotated the tires which seemed to have helped a bit but still get the problem. In saying that, I am going to get myself couplings and a centre bearing and replace the ones that are in there, hopefully that fixes the problem. Otherwise it's most likely the Torque converter.

The younger me would be hurt to hear this, but i'm not turning this into a track car or hotted street car, just want it to run smooth, clean and get the best economy I can out of it. Which I am slowly getting there. If anyone has anything else in mind to just help the car breather and keep smooth, please let me know.

The only cosmetic changes are the removal of the spoiler and some nice shiny red lug nuts and lock nuts. Replacing the red with black ones when they come.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image0.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 177
  • thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 177
  • thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 168
  • thumbnail_image3 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_image3 (1).jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 192
  • thumbnail_image4.jpg
    thumbnail_image4.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 172
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 183
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 179
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 174
  • thumbnail_image2 (2).jpg
    thumbnail_image2 (2).jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 159
  • thumbnail_imag1.jpg
    thumbnail_imag1.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ummm, why not? Petrol prices not high enough for you?
Well yea not too fussed about paying for fuel. And when I did use what was in the tank after I bought the car, it ran like ass, but fine on petrol. My plan is to rip out all the LPG gear at some point, it takes up too much from in both the boot and engine bay

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Well yea not too fussed about paying for fuel. And when I did use what was in the tank after I bought the car, it ran like ass, but fine on petrol. My plan is to rip out all the LPG gear at some point, it takes up too much from in both the boot and engine bay
It probably needs the LPG filters changed then (there’s a liquid phase one and a gas phase one). The other possibility is that your tank level was very low which will probably make it run like crap as the system needs decent gas pressure to function correctly (there’s no LPG pump unless you have a liquid phase injection system (you don’t as these systems were hideously expensive and statistically no one has them).

People seem to have a misconception that LPG is an inferior fuel because taxis used to run it and it’s cheap. LPG actually has a higher octane rating than premium petrol (about 110 octane) and doesn’t harm a modern engine (post leaded fuel) as the only damage done was to the valve seats and all cars have hardened valve seats now.

Provided you’ve got a modern gas injection system (not the old mixer type) you wont notice a huge amount of difference in performance between LPG and petrol. Petrol will have a bit better torque response as it does have a bit higher calorific value than LPG does but you don’t really notice it in daily driving.

If your insistence is to remove the system then you will have to make sure you get a gas removal certificate and hand it into TMR confirming the removal of the system.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
It probably needs the LPG filters changed then (there’s a liquid phase one and a gas phase one). The other possibility is that your tank level was very low which will probably make it run like crap as the system needs decent gas pressure to function correctly (there’s no LPG pump unless you have a liquid phase injection system (you don’t as these systems were hideously expensive and statistically no one has them).

People seem to have a misconception that LPG is an inferior fuel because taxis used to run it and it’s cheap. LPG actually has a higher octane rating than premium petrol (about 110 octane) and doesn’t harm a modern engine (post leaded fuel) as the only damage done was to the valve seats and all cars have hardened valve seats now.

Provided you’ve got a modern gas injection system (not the old mixer type) you wont notice a huge amount of difference in performance between LPG and petrol. Petrol will have a bit better torque response as it does have a bit higher calorific value than LPG does but you don’t really notice it in daily driving.

If your insistence is to remove the system then you will have to make sure you get a gas removal certificate and hand it into TMR confirming the removal of the system.
That's actually some handy info thank you, may have swindled me. I will have to get someone to have a look at what injection system I have as it's not the factory fitted one, this was fitted in 2011. and there is no actual cert that came with the car and no workplace stamped on the plaque in the bay. All I know is that it is vapour injection, I will have to call and confirm, if it is all the modern gear/injection, then I will give it a go. thanks again for that!