Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roof lining fallen down

M

MavVP

Mr_Slim said:
yeah i got the same problem. mine was drooping a bit in the middle, but not too bad. then the other night me and the girlfriend were.... talking.... in the back seat. She put her hand up and pulled down the roof lining and now it hangs right down and i can barely see through the window.... :supersad:

what is underneath the roof lining? In a Calais it has the pins holding the lining. It feels like corkboard underneath. In theory, i could just get drawing pins (thumb-taks) and pin it back up?

Yeah you can try the thumb tacks but be carefull when your "talking" next, they have a tendency to fall out and land on the seat :)

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
i have done this before. it was the first thing that i did when i got my new car..

i actually got the cardboard thingy out of my car. i think all i did was put the drivers seat all the way down and all the way back. u bring it our sideways(the front of the cardboard out first.)

the what i did was actually go to the wreckers and do the same but took the roof lining off. the guy gave it to me for free. then i pinned it all down to my original one and then i went to super cheap auto(an amatuers heaven) and got septone fabric adhesive.

i then applied it to the cardboard and stuck it ddown and went over it with my hands to make sure that there was no creases

im 16 and it was pretty easy. so u guys should be able to do it better than me. it should be easy

the only other thing is make sure you store the cardboard flat not standing up because it will fold. it is very flimsy. the hardest part of this whole thing is getting the hard plastic things back in around the back windows and stuff.

hope it helped

cheers
matt

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
also. i helped a friend of mine with his. he went to spotlioght and bought some fabric and then he bought this thing which u put in between them and iron the fabric on top of it so it sticks both ways. it looks awesome. really easy. he even got his woman to do the ironing.

flyen

bye bye
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
mines pretty bad, i've never bothered to fix it
and the light has not worked since i got the car either..lol

i might get it done one day but it's turned into one of those things i always say i'll do but it never happens

Attachments

• oops.JPG
    oops.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 2,074

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
wow, yeah thats seriously on your head pretty much lol.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
VN Circus tent :p

I have one too, when people get in my car we all starting singing the circus tune lmao

D.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
How come this falls off? do you guys live in really hot places? cold places? car is damp inside? neither my vn or vp have any signs of this happening, they both have the same grey felt stuff on the roof

Spike79

Just Confused!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6, VP Berlina LX, Citroen C3
The headlining is foam backed material. The foam deteriorates with age, more rapidly if its exposed to high levels of heat. As the foam deteriorates and turns to powder, it leaves some foam on the back of the material and some on the cardboard backing. Just using glue won't solve the problem as the material won't bond well with all that old foam in there. Plus it will still look bad and won't stop the problem from getting worse.

I highly recommend removing the whole backing board out of the car, clean it well and replace the material with new foam backed material available from an auto upholstery supplier.

_A_D_A_M_ posted a good link to the "how-to" section. Have a look at it, it'll make you realise that its easy enough to do.

states94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
greenfoam said:
How come this falls off? do you guys live in really hot places? cold places? car is damp inside? neither my vn or vp have any signs of this happening, they both have the same grey felt stuff on the roof

Mine dropped on a 40degree Day in summer, The car is dark blue and the air con was not workin, I left work and put all four windows down, then it dropped as I was drivin.

Does anyone know where I can buy the new material from. I will prob have to freight it out of Melbourne the only local upholsterers are dodgy and have quoted me around $300 if I remove the board.

Thanks to _A_D_A_M for his how to:thumbsup: