Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roof mount monitor + two decks, 1 dvd 1 cd

Greg_Sian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore, VT S 97
Hi, i've got 3 kids and want to install a incar dvd system, without losing out on listening to music in the front, i want to know about the following:

1. How hard is it to install roof monitor (WOW quoted about $300, for that much i'd rather spenda few hours on it myself, i've done all my other cd players and even a auto elec mate said he was impressed with the install). Would it run off dvd headunit power or need its own? Where does it screw into?

2. Would 2 decks fit ok in double din slot? (DVD player for monitor and CD/MP3 for us in front?

3. would a deck fit in centre console pocket under vents if it was removed, or would i be better mounting dvd in glove box? if it won't fit in din slot?

Any help would be good, i post pics and any probs i encounter for all who are considering same.

cmacra10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Wagon
You might want to consider a good quality DUAL ZONE double DIN headunit. Most these days have DVD, mp3, GPS, Digital TV with USB, SD Card and ipod finputs. The Dual Zone allows you to Play DVDs through the roof monitor at the same time as using your GPS or TV in the front. You can get half decent systems from China but only SOME and I repeat... SOME of these systems are good quality, Its a bit of a gamble. I only know this because i've been through it all....

the Roof monitor should come with a mounting plate that is screwed into the cross-members on the roof. You'll need to remove some roof-lining to get to it. The monitor is then screwed to the mounting plate. I found the best place to run the AV cables was under the dash, then up the inside of the door arch and across the roof to the monitor.

hope this helps

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
Wow, thats from 06 mate if you didn't realise?

cmacra10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Wagon
Wow, thats from 06 mate if you didn't realise?

Wow ...just realised. Well he COULD still be waiting for a reply... poor bugger, had to wait 3 years for someone to answer his question HA!

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
Well its good to see that we wrapped this one up :)