Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rory's VZ Thunder SS Crewman

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Thought after quite a while i should probably post a build thread for my Crewman. I've had the car since around August.

Name: Rory
Model: 2006 Crewman Thunder SS
Colour: Odyssey
Engine Type: L76
Engine Mods: None
Gearbox: 6 Speed Manual
Diff: Stock LSD
Brakes: Standard
Suspension: Lowered springs front, Lowering-Blocks Rear
Interior: Black Leather, Sunroof, Roof-Mount HBD DVD Player
Stereo:
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT Head Unit
Alpine Type R Splits in front
JL 50 watt coaxial's in the rear
400 watt Kenwood Sub (Strapped down with seat belt on the rear seat)
Alpine PDX-V9 amp under the passenger seat powering the sub and splits
Future Mods:
Stage 1 power kit from Active Automotive (OTR, Tune, Exhaust) (when $ permits)
Phreddy dash (Blue)
Fix front bumper (cracked from last owner)
fix sunroof (whistles when closed and driving at 80km/h+) (any help?)
anything else I think of...

IMG_0806.jpg
154371d1355877709-rorys-vz-thunder-ss-crewman-img_0806.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg
154370d1355877706-rorys-vz-thunder-ss-crewman-img_0803.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg
154372d1355877713-rorys-vz-thunder-ss-crewman-img_0898.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg
155275d1357613213-rorys-vz-thunder-ss-crewman-img_1061.jpg

any thoughts appreciated

Last edited:

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Oh yeh sounds good, any pics mate ???

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Some updates;
Firstly gave it a service a few weeks back, image is of old vs new air filter due to living up a 500m gravel driveway... (note to self, replace this more often)
jo5qeKwONPyL0.JPG

Also the serpentine belt let go and did this to itself:
jbtS2YzORALS5E.JPG

Started building a sub box for under the rear seat but have taken a break for now (see here: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/car-audio/214287-crewman-under-seat-sub.html)

Also been doing a fair bit of country trips lately (Wyalkatchem, Bunbury and others) and just enjoying the V8 power... Also went to the cruze on Saturday night and got a chance to see some awesome cars and people. Picture courtesy of kikki (Christie Lyn Photography)
160021d1366532560-cruise-20th-april-5pm-captain-munchies-cruise-5.jpg

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Some more updates, zip tied under the front bumper to stop the crack from moving around. (no pic yet)

Have also been flushing the clutch and power steering fluid by draining the reservoirs and filling them with clean fluid (anyone that has bled a T56 will understand)

Also 2 weeks ago my rear indicator blew, replaced it with Narva and it blew again so I get a genuine Holden (Philips) globe today and put it in and hoping that it lasts.
also while my tray liner was out I removed my other side lens and removed the Moth that has been stuck for months... don't know how he got in either.
jbmZHOdyjGm9L0.JPG

I also replaced the screws that attach the hard tonneau to the tray because they were rusted as (surprised that they came out to be honest) and also cleaned up the aluminium where some rust from the screws had tarnished it with some light sand paper.
jblgciWHGdY2j1.JPG

This was before I finished polishing the aluminium up but shows the screws a little nicer than before
jnwrSave7cIW0.JPG

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
4eqe8yre.jpg

Crewman has been broken for 6 weeks and have finally got it back, some details can be found here: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-2006/217168-crewman-drive-shaft-blowout.html

This afternoon I got the Crewman back as I needed it for work. It's still a bit noisy but with the lack of manual v8 Crewmans at wreckers it was going to be an expensive exercise to replace the tailshaft with no guarantees to fix the sound so it's drivable until I sell my Alloytec ute or I figure out what the go is with it :) so happy to have it back though.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Good to see you've got it back.

What needs to be done to get it properly sorted ?

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Good to see you've got it back.

What needs to be done to get it properly sorted ?

The guys at the shop aren't entirely sure, they believe its the tailshaft as Jeeps with the same CV before the diff make the same sound but they cant be 100% sure and don't want to throw money at it if it won't fix the problem. (Genuine tailshaft is 2400 and genuine axles are 900 each)
Yesterday however I called Veem Engineering and they said that they have done a full 9 inch diff and new tailshaft and everything on a crewman before so they might be the place to go to to get it sorted. They also said that they would inspect it obligation free so thats good for me :)
Veem said that the Crewman diff is built more as a cruiser so skids don't do it well but I don't know about going all out on the Crewy, especially under only stock power at the moment. This could be changing soon though :) watch this space :)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Isn't a 9 inch a lot of extra weight to lug around ?

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Isn't a 9 inch a lot of extra weight to lug around ?

To be honest I think its a little extreme, I was quite impressed with the ability to do it but would also write off any load carrying ability too I would believe.

The reason I thought Veem might be the go was because they might be able to be a bit more scientific with their testing and be able to at least say definitively that tailshaft is or isn't the problem. I've done about 200k's since I've got the car back and I'm hating the noise but loving the car :)