Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rotor problem HELP im new to this

commodore pride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
hey guys i just changed my front rotors not pads an now my breaks dont really work that well takes a bit for the car to stop any help would be great. seemingg its a life threating matter lol..

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Did you bed them in properly by finding a deserted piece of road, go along at 50 km/h or so, and apply the brakes firmly, but dont come to a complete stop. Do this 5 or so times (without coming to a complete stop) and then drive for a couple of km to let them cool down. After this they should be bedded in and will work better..

commodore pride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
ok thanks for the help so all i have to do is really bed the rotors in i thought it was something like that be a new metal surface an all. thanks again

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Generally you do the pads or the pads and rotors together, not just rotors. It can leave the pad being matched to the old rotor and not enough contact area. Did you do anything that would create air in the brake lines like removing the caliper from the car?

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
I would have bled them personally, even if i havent done anything to change the pressure i bleed them.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
ok thanks for the help so all i have to do is really bed the rotors in i thought it was something like that be a new metal surface an all. thanks again

Sorry mate, I didnt read it quite right, I thought you'd done both pads and rotors.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Have engine off and just pump brake pedal... hopefully it goes hard. Basically the pads are not up against the rotors yet. By pumping brake pedal you will force calipers to push the pads to the rotors

Bomber R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8 Clubsport
Have engine off and just pump brake pedal... hopefully it goes hard. Basically the pads are not up against the rotors yet. By pumping brake pedal you will force calipers to push the pads to the rotors
Don't forget to check brake fluid level after and if needed get a mate to help you bleed the system

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Still bed them in. Do what Brett suggested earlier, they will improve again after a couple of days of driving as well.