Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rotor problem HELP im new to this

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Did you clean new rotors with a solvent (thinners, brake clean or similar) before fitting calipers and pads?

Might differ between brands, but don't new rotors have a light oil or the likes to stop them from rusting? If this is the case, I would think you need new brake pads now anyway because of this

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Spray some water on your rotors and leave them for a couple of hours. The rotors will tarnish a little. When you apply your brakes again you will see the (shiny) area where your brake pads are contacting the rotors. Your brakes won't work at their best until the pads have bedded in and contact is being made across the whole surface of the rotors.

sleepyjean

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
You did not mention if your car has ABS. also no mention of how you went about changing the rotors.
I hope you cleaned the new rotors before you put them in, the wax on them will not help. How did you expand your calipers? force the pistons in with a clamp or screwdriver did you open the bleed valve?
ABS requires the bleed valve to be opened or you could damage the braking system, this could explain the pedal feeling too soft.

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Never heard the bleed valve needing to be opened with ABS....you mean the bleed valve on the caliper when you push the pistons back yeah? Am curious to know more as my SS has ABS and doing brake upgrade soon with braided lines

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
ABS requires the bleed valve to be opened or you could damage the braking system, this could explain the pedal feeling too soft.

No it doesn't. Can't tell you how many pads I've replaced in ABS cars and never had a problem.

If just replacing rotors and leaving the old pads, then the pistons shouldn't need pushing in much, maybe 1 or 2mm. It will most likely be a pad to rotor contact issue, IE old pads - new rotors, the pads will need to be bed in to the rotors.

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
No it doesn't. Can't tell you how many pads I've replaced in ABS cars and never had a problem.

Yeah thought the same, have replaced pads in my car before no dramas, that's why asked to know more to see if they had any useful information that could back up their claims.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Unless he disconnected the brake hose when changing the rotors.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Never heard the bleed valve needing to be opened with ABS....you mean the bleed valve on the caliper when you push the pistons back yeah? Am curious to know more as my SS has ABS and doing brake upgrade soon with braided lines

The reasoning is that if there is crap/residue between the calliper and ABS unit you can push it back into the ABS unit with the displaced fluid where it can block the valves. It requires that the stuff is in the line in the first place so with a maintained brake system is never going to be a problem.