Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough acceleration and vibration in '95 VS???

samd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V6
I recently bought a 4-speed auto V6 '95 VS Commodore with only 180,000km, totally straight and nanna driven all its life. There are just a couple of things I want to know so I can fix it;
1) only in foward gears (not reverse, park or neutral) it makes a vibration when stopped with the brakes on, it sounds like its coming from underneath where the gearbox connects to the engine. I've read that they can have issues with torque convertors??
2) when accelerating, it feels rough like it's miss firing or something, mainly at low rpm (0-2500ish) and it goes really well past that.

I will check the plugs, leads etc. It would be good to know if the two issues are related and if anybody can tell me any more about what I'm dealing with, it would be greatly appreciated.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
I would say to fix problem 2) first as i think it may be a major factor with your vibration issues, As brett says check for any logged error codes then plugs and leads.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you don't find anything when you do the above tests, maybe you should read the original road tests on VN to VS Commodores - all noted harshness when under full acceleration. There have been many threads about this with many cures offered and sworn to work but don't always. Mine has had new engine mounts, rear control arms and uni joints and still feels like a 747 taking off with the pedal to the floor....and that has not changed in 7 years of ownership and over 200,000km.

samd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V6
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll check it out tomorrow. I think the vibration may actually be from something in the suspension or an engine mount as it sounds like it's from the front left hand side

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive wagon, VE wagon
My VS wagon has gone through a few COIL PACKS in its time with me. Easy test if you have limited time/ tools, take off 1 lead at a time from the coil. If bright blue sparks jump down the side when you start the engine, then the coil is O.K. If no or weak spark, the coil is probably R.S. This causes the engine to miss bad at low rpm but is harder to notice when you get the revs up. Sounds like you have bigger problems, but start with the easy ones and work up :idea3:

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive wagon, VE wagon
My left front bushes are shot and make a bad noise too, don't worry it is on my list of things to fix :beer chug:

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Easy test if you have limited time/ tools, take off 1 lead at a time from the coil. If bright blue sparks jump down the side when you start the engine, then the coil is O.K.

I would NOT recommend this test.

Apart from the coil trying to bite you, sending 30,000 volts into the DFI module may upset it somewhat. Not to mention that it could leak down one of the DFI wires to the PCM.

ALWAYS correctly ground a secondary (coil) voltage. Use a spark tester or an old plug welded to an alligator clip. (see below)
2012-02-07_223236_spark-tester.jpg
ignition_spark_tester.jpg