Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough gear changes

VZCALAIS190

Reaction score
Members Ride
Barbados Mica VZ Calais
Mine does it aswell when cold, shifting down to 1st from 2nd. Don't know if it's normal but only does it a couple of times when cold.

vr wagoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz calais
Mine also shifts hard with power button on. Sometime even get a slight cherp if I'm lucky! Will be giving my trans a
Service next oil change. Anyone know I should buy a replacement kit from?

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Mine also shifts hard with power button on. Sometime even get a slight cherp if I'm lucky! Will be giving my trans a
Service next oil change. Anyone know I should buy a replacement kit from?

Can get them from supercheap / Repco or Holden etc. Kits will range from $15 to about $50 and that will give you a filter and gasket. I use the basic cheap kit and never had an issue. Just ensure you don't under or over fill the fluid afterwards!

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Price the genuine kits. The filter kit (with gasket) from Gmh nz was cheaper than the Repco one for my vs. Don't over tighten the sump bolts as they can strip.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
I must confess to changing my tranny fluid & filter @ 100k along with plugs, coil packs + front O2 sensors & diff oil. That's just me, but the transmission oil was definitely discoloured with an unusual smell. I just reckon 150k is a big ask from any oil.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
I must confess to changing my tranny fluid & filter @ 100k along with plugs, coil packs + front O2 sensors & diff oil. That's just me, but the transmission oil was definitely discoloured with an unusual smell. I just reckon 150k is a big ask from any oil.

Sounds like it might be better with a full flush due to the km's rather than just 4 litres of fluid. Also the smell is norm for trans fluid.. try taking a wiff of diff oil - shi7 stinks

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I used to change it every 20,000 but now only 40,000 mind you I don't cane it or do any towing.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Holden spec every 80k for tranny fluid. My old vs was done at 80 and 170. Changed beautifully at 190 when I sold it.

Did diff oil for the first time at 170k. Diff was so much quieter after, but still whined quite a lot.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Holden spec every 80k for tranny fluid. My old vs was done at 80 and 170. Changed beautifully at 190 when I sold it.

Did diff oil for the first time at 170k. Diff was so much quieter after, but still whined quite a lot.

Not for the alloytec, fairly certain the first change for tranny is up around 120,000. The gearbox is designed to require little to no servicing

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
The PWR holds it in gear longer, doesnt change any shift pressures..

Im pretty sure it does up the line pressure, mine shifts much firmer and quicker in PWR mode. OP, yes the car can have some really firm or even rough gear changes in PWR mode. I noticed this even more when i changed my diff ratio to 3.46's, especially on the downshift.