Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rough idle after flogging

Ben Crouch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
yeah so....took my beloved vz for a drive at the worst time (after getting into hot water with the missus) and gave her a bit of a thrashing now running a bit rough at idle, kind of a spluttering going on from the muffler, every now n then will drop in revs and almost cut out, where should i start lookin to fix whatever ive done to my baby..?

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
might of sucked a bit of dirt into your maf at wot i would start by cleaning that

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Mass air flow sensor maf...wide open throttle wot

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I once went out with a chick who had a dirty maf.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Give it a basic service.
Clean air filter, a bit of MAF sensor cleaner in its MAF. Checkout the spark plugs. Replace them would be helpful. Do a clean of the throttle body. A bit of “top end” cleaner through the intake manifold would be of use. If you do choose to replace the spark plugs, you might well have the intake off anyway so give it a good going over with the throttle body cleaner.

Some injector cleaner would be good to drop into the fuel tank.

Disconnect the battery for a while.

Lots of ideas to use here.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
More importantly, go give here some nice chocies, flowers and a hug with a Sorry.

Ben Crouch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
Give it a basic service.
Clean air filter, a bit of MAF sensor cleaner in its MAF. Checkout the spark plugs. Replace them would be helpful. Do a clean of the throttle body. A bit of “top end” cleaner through the intake manifold would be of use. If you do choose to replace the spark plugs, you might well have the intake off anyway so give it a good going over with the throttle body cleaner.

Some injector cleaner would be good to drop into the fuel tank.

Disconnect the battery for a while.

Lots of ideas to use here.
only just serviced her last month, new air filter/fuel filter/oil filter/oil/oil pressure sensor/sparks and coils. was running beautifully before the flogging, just bought some maf and air intake cleaner about to do that, will try the injector cleaner too and see how we go then. unrelated question, how often is everyone changing their coolant?