Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough idle after Vararam installation

theking

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Caprice SS
Hi guys, hope everyone is enjoying their vacation.

I bought my car, and as always, I went ahead and cleaned body throttle. I noticed that the [ gallons/liter ] has fell down from being 2.5-3 at idle to being 1.5-2 also at idle. --> This is the small screen readings I'm talking about, I'm no sure if the actual RPM has fallen or not.

Anyways, I bought the Vararam cold air intake and installed it myself. After that I removed the negative battery cable for almost 2 hours, in order for the car's computer to reset and adjust to the new intake. Everything seemed good at first.

I went on a almost 800 km road trip, and as I came to a stop, the car almost started dancing, it idles really rough and almost loses power. I had that happen the first 200 km.

After I arrived, I took out the negative battery cable again for an hour or so. Car is in better shape, and doesn't idle as rough as it used to, but when the car is in the P or N position, you can feel the whole car vibrate. The RPM also rises up and falls down.
Car was in perfect condition before the intake.

On second thought, I think the car may have just a little bit of extra oil, car shop installed 9 liters of oil. I know that it only holds 8.3 liters. Could this be the problem.
Excited to hear your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Try cleaning you afm. Sometime the oil for washable air filters can cause the symptoms. Just uses crc maf cleaner.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Typically when you change the Air Intake (And the MAF sensors position is moved closer to the throttle body), the car will require a tune. (I.E. ECU recalibrated).
This is usually the case with almost all OTR CAI (Over the radiator cold Air Intakes).

Changing back to the stock intake back will return the idle back to normal (And will prevent the trouble light from displaying).

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
sounds like the removed the Maf entirely to install the OTR.

when i test fit my OTR on my SS before i had a tune with no maf and it was behaving like that.

or possible the IAT isn't connected/installed.

theking

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Caprice SS
I talked to a tuner, and he recommended I stop by and see what he does. Will leave feedback tomorrow.