Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough idle and flat spot spot.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore 2000
Hi all.
I had a broken wire, think it eaten through, for one of my injectors. Soldered that and fixed that. I thought that would fix the issue.
The car idles really rough to the point where you think it would stall. It's better at 1000 -1200rpm but not 100%.
Thinking TPS but not sold on that.
The part is that it has a flat spot in the acceleration. 1st gear it's hard to notice, but when it changes to second its like opening a parachute... if you put your foot into it a bit she finds power like a moto hitting band. Does the same in third. If I put my foot down of the line, it seems to find it hard to change to second and feels like reving heaps for not much until I back off on the throttle a little and then it will change.
I know my trans needs some love and it's getting it in the next couple of weeks, but any help on the engine would be appreciated.
P.S. changed plugs, leads belt. Not sure about the coil pack. I have another in S.A if I need to swap. That's in a couple of weeks.
Thanks lads.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore 2000
Dirty MAF?
I cleaned the **** out of that about 12 months ago. It's just weird it happened or seemed to happen and then I found a broken injection wire. Wondering if it's now a fuel injector or valve issue?? Not sure about the TPS but that could do with idle and perhaps something else with the flat spot....

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I cleaned the **** out of that about 12 months ago. It's just weird it happened or seemed to happen and then I found a broken injection wire. Wondering if it's now a fuel injector or valve issue?? Not sure about the TPS but that could do with idle and perhaps something else with the flat spot....
I'd be looking at the dfi & coils. for starters.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Release each injector harness in turn at idle. If you hit one where the idle doesn’t get worse it could be the injector, or the pins in the connector getting crushed when you reinstalled it.

Check your fault codes too. If none of the above reveal anything then I agree it’s the DFI, coils, vacuum leak routine. A multimeter won’t necessarily find a dud coil. It will show up with the first check I suggested so you can swap a couple around to see if the problem moves with it.