Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rough idle on my vt any ideas?

purekiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
hi guys ive got a problem with my 99 vt ecotec commodore idle running realy rough i have changed the plugs and leads thinking that my have been the problem but didnt seem to make any differance i just want to get it sorted as im not sure if its doing any damage? thanks in advance

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Little more information, does it do it under load at all?

I.e, when you apply throttle does it misfire and pop through the exhaust?
Does it try to stall at all?

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Do the v6s have a PCV hose? (sorry dont know much about the v6s),if they do thats what my money is on.

purekiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
its fine as soon as im driving it doesnt miss a beat or missfire at all its just when its idling in neutral at the lights it runs rough and every now the revs will jump down real low for a second kind of close to stalling,and if i sit in park with the engine running for over 5mins the engine light comes on and then when i drive ten meters it dissapears again im not sure if that has anything to do with it or not just thought it might help for you to know

purekiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
thanks guys ive got it booked in to get a service and the breaks done on monday so il tell my mechanic to have a look i just wanted to get some advice befour i took it in

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
do a self diagnosis and see if u get a EGR position fault (code 29). if so make sure the pintle valve isnt sticking open with any debris. mine did this a lil while ago n made the car sound and idle like it had a lumpy cam in it lol

brett_d

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
its fine as soon as im driving it doesnt miss a beat or missfire at all its just when its idling in neutral at the lights it runs rough and every now the revs will jump down real low for a second kind of close to stalling,and if i sit in park with the engine running for over 5mins the engine light comes on and then when i drive ten meters it dissapears again im not sure if that has anything to do with it or not just thought it might help for you to know

Hi - just read your post which describes exactly what I am seeing with my VT. Can you tell me how you went with sorting it out? Cheers

kriis.xx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Having the same problem after changing the intake manifold gasket so I'm assuming this could be a top end engine problem but I've triple checked all the sensors and I'm at a loss :(