Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough idle, stalling, backfire after connecting MAF! Help!?

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Just like the title says...My VZ SS (LS1 engine) cant idle more than 3 mins without stalling. Step on the gas a little hard and you hear pop pop pops from the exhaust... not a loud bang, but rather like the car is choking and its clearing its throat. Nice analogy heh? :)

All this started immediately after connecting the MAF sensor.

A few weeks ago i was replacing the alternator and i had to get the air box out of the way. When i put everything back together i forgot to connect the MAF sensor. The connector got ripped off by the serpentine belt. This was about a month ago. Ever since then ive been searching for a connector. I found one 3 days ago so i sliced the wires (5 wires) and connected everything.

Drove around for a day but noticed no difference so i did a scan and came up with a MAF sensor fault. Checked the wires again and i realized i made a mistake with the wires. I connected the tan wire with the pink and the pink with the tan. They looked the same. Anyway, i switched the wires, "tried" to start the car but it just kept turning, almost start and then just turn turn turn. Exact symptom as its got no gas. Actually, i thought the gauge was faulty and put some gas in it the tank. Made no difference. Anyway, kept on cranking till it turned over.
But whenever i stepped on the gas to rev at stand still, it would "choke" and the rpm instead of increasing would get really low, almost stalling and actually stalling if i dont take my foot off the gas. This is accompanied by a pop or two from the exhaust. It gets a little better once the car gas warmed up. Like in the morning it is the worst.

Drive the car and its not stable, engine idles rough and stalls when coming to an abrupt stop. Hard accelerations are never smooth, always pops and only gradually builds up speed as it never revs in accordance with the gas pedal. Like if i step on the gas, it would "de-rev" before it revs up.

And like i said, this all started after connecting the MAF. I mean right afterwards. 10 mins before connecting it, it was running ok for almost a month. I tried disconnecting the MAF to see if it would go back to normal but its the same. I also cleaned the MAF sensor wires with a MAF cleaner (crc). I am sure i have no vacuum leak cz i throughly checked. All the wires are connected. I also changed the fuel filter and ran gas treatment. Even disconnected the battery cables for a full day to clear the system.

So guys, whats going on?? Really really appreciate any help.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Damn! No one??

Comrice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden LTZ 2004
Hey bro, did you find a solution to this problem? Im going through this right now and im literally sick and annoyed because of this. Help me out please!

samblades

Reaction score
Members Ride
Current: 2007 VE Calais V 6.0L. Ex: 2003 VY S M5
Ive just sorted a problem with my VY S and it had roughly the same symptoms. I went for months driving around like that not sure what it was. I found a page n how to test the MAF sensor. There was 3 wires on the MAF, Negative, Signal and 12V+. Between the signal and negative was 4-5V and between 12V and negative was 0V. So i took 12V from the battey over to the 12V wire and it ran 100x better. I thought there was a broken wire somewhere, but turned out it was a blown fuse on engine controls circuit(typical me being a sparky I didnt check that first haha)

So give that a check, it may be as simple as that.