Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough Idle

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
Hey. I'm a bit of a noob on here :p
I have a 2003 VY. Having major issues with it running rough as guts. When it sits idling, the revs fluctuate between 500rpm and 1000rpm and the car shakes badly. To the point it feels like it's going to stall, also does it when I reverse. And feels like it has a flat spot when driving down the freeway.

I have replaced spark plugs, leads, Oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, ran 2 fuel injector cleaners and have taken the MAF off and cleaned it with CRC MAF cleaner.

I am at a loss at what else to do :(

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
maybe got an air leak in your vaccum hoses, theres about 4 of them around the throttle body, for peace of mind replace all of them clamp them up super tight, check that the hoses are even on, especially drivers side at the back of rocker cover, theres a gadget there with 2 vaccum hoses

theres an IAC idle air controller on back of throttle body too, unscrew it, clean all the gunk off, or just replace the whole thing

prob even better to clean all gunk out of the whole TB

Last edited:

henstepper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore Executive s2
Bad fuel pump, engine mounts, but more likely bad fuel pump

Comcal76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP v6
Check air intake tube after MAF and before throttle body for splits, get a scan done it's cheap.

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
maybe got an air leak in your vaccum hoses, theres about 4 of them around the throttle body, for peace of mind replace all of them clamp them up super tight, check that the hoses are even on, especially drivers side at the back of rocker cover, theres a gadget there with 2 vaccum hoses

theres an IAC idle air controller on back of throttle body too, unscrew it, clean all the gunk off, or just replace the whole thing

prob even better to clean all gunk out of the whole TB
Thankyou for your help. I'll have to check everything tomorrow and replace anything needed. Hopefully it works. I'd prefer to be working on my VX:cool:

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
Check air intake tube after MAF and before throttle body for splits, get a scan done it's cheap.
I did find a very small split today in the air filter hose:( (more money)
IMG_20200126_154322_compress45.jpg

I read online that you can use silicone tape on it as an emergency fix? I haven't tried it yet

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
i dont think that will cause your problem you can use rtv on it as a quick fix
I did find a very small split today in the air filter hose:( (more money)View attachment 209078
I read online that you can use silicone tape on it as an emergency fix? I haven't tried it yet
i dont think that would cuase your problem you can use rtv on it as a quick fix if you got some lying around ...i got a spare throttle position sensor in waroona if you can get here can try it if it fixes it can give me 20 bucks for its pretty much new if it doesnt owe me nothing

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Actualy you mentioned you have a vx if there both v6 the tps should be the same you can test it from that easy to take off and install