Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough idle

R

robbo82

My Vn 3.8l has a rough idle and when i rev it it stalls and sounds like its backfirring in the throttle body, have replaced plugs ,leads ,fuel filter,can any one HELP

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Tube of injecter cleaner in the fuel tank would be a good start if you havent done it before.

Have you got any error codes from the computer? - this can be found somewhere on this forum.

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
Its dumb i know but check all your leads are goin to the right place eh :)

Apoc.

S

Shanoqueeb

agree with ex cop 5L, sounds like injectors/carbie is blocked or may have some crap in them

churbz89vn

CHURBZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN excec.
could aslo be the idle sensor in the throttle body, mine was doing similarm and repaced it for $90.00 and cleaned the throttle body n now is sweet.

lillgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
i too am having the same problem, had the injectors replaced about 6 months ago after injector cleaner didnt work, the car is on duel fuel and runs fairly ok on gas but when i go to run on petrol it idles rough then when i give it a rev it goes to die in the ass.
but after you back off with the pedal the revs come up for a second, im stuck with what to do.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
check your fuel pressure

vks

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn 3.8 S pack
if its running really **** missing and all that, try your Map sensor there is a hose going to the map sensor and the other end going to the intake for the (manifold absolute pressure). If that hose has come off than she will run **** thats what happend with mine. Ifound this out by bridging the connection to do a diagnostic test.

cheers chris