Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Round trip of Aust in the Commo

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
My parents wanna have a family trip around Australia, from Melbourne, to Adelaide, NT (Ayres Rock, etc), Cairns, (possibly) Brissie, Canberra and back down to Melbourne..

Do any of the NT members have any advice about NT? We're might be going about November, what's the best time to go there and is there anything memorable we should see?

Also wondering about my car. We're going to take my beast, but I'm wondering how appropriate it is to take. It's pretty low, but should I prepare the car for the trip in anyway? I was thinking a good coolant flush and carry a few spares. But any other advice about that?

Anyone else done a huge road trip like this?

Cheers

edit: I'm thinking of a car bra and cruise control definitely.. Don't wanna spoil my pretty paintwork... I've seen what highway driving can do to a front bar..

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
hey ive done melb 2 ayers rok.. n melb 2 cairns MILLIONS of times.. little tip.. if u love ur paintwork dont do it!! even car bras dont fix damage that can happen.. n carry more than spares! every annoyin little thing will go wrong on a long trip out bush!! lol.. otha than that thou their fun as hell with rite company!!!

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
ive done adelaide to darwin in september 2 years ago with my olds, i would recommend around the start of spring cos you miss the heavy rain season in the NT and its not too hot thru queensland....i also advise you NOT to stop in tennant creek for more than 5 minutes it gets scary lol...get fuel and get out of there!:driving:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
always carry PLENTY of water. two for you and two for the car.

Keepa check on your tyres. Remember to have your best tread on the rear and if you think any tyre is a bit low, then get it replaced and it's axle brother.

Also, get an oil change before you leave. Doesn't matter if you need it or not. Don't use a synthetic. Just something like Mobil 5000 or one of those middle of the road brands. When you get back I can guarantee that you will need another one.

Condition of the serpentine belt ok?

Basically,look at everything as if you were buying your car again. What would you want done to it to make it reliable?

Hope that has been some help to you.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Another good one is to make sure your roadside assistance is up to date. Also would be wise to upgrade it to the cover that gets you accomodation ad extended towing should they not be able to get you going again.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
roadside is a good idea - the membership works in all states too.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Forget about the BRA. Buy a GPS instead. They not only tell you things but they are fun to play with too.

You'll likely be driving on main roads, so it should be alright. Unless you are driving at night, forget about the bra. There is also more trucks to follow from Adelaide to Perth than where you are going. Bugs are easy to get off. I found a cloth in the car section at Safeway/Woolworths that is like a sponge and gets all the bugs off easily without scratching. I swear it works! It's in the auto area where the sponges and car soap is. :)

The trip from NT to Cairns is getting a bit far out. Don't stress it's not bad. Some of the trip you'll not find a petrol station within a short distance. Having your car dual fuel won't be a problem. Run the petrol down say 20% and the gas down 80% and everything should be cool. You'll save some cash having dual fuell. As you'd know highway driving costs less so that's good also. Remember it will still cost tons of fuel doing that trip. I'd guess it would be around 7000-8000 K's of driving by the sound of it. Cairns is about 3200 I think from Melbourne, add that again and you get the idea.

Like others said, carry water and carry some food. Camping is better and a lot cheaper trust me. If you stayed in Motels the whole trip, the bill will rack up $60 a night. Stay in van parks and it's $10 a night.

To be honest, you don't need to worry about much. If your car is a good runner, you can go anywhere. I knew an '82 Corona that went to Cairns twice and Perth once without a problem. Don't worry.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
NT don't drive at night or early morning late evening. I hit 3 kangaroos and they do mean damage. I know someone who hit a cow and wrote off his mum's car. I worked at ayer's rock resort for a while and its pretty **** just go to see uluru and kata-jtuta and thats about it. Kings canyon is also good but its a bit out of the way. And i hope you like flies cause there's shitloads of them. I gets hot out there but the roads are probably the best in australia. A lot of people have blowouts when they're doing like 160 on the open highways so be careful not to go to fast. Boona right about tennent creek its scarey we stopped for petty and couldn't wait to leave full of smelly Aborignals if you go to alice springs go to the shopping centre and you'll smell them its makes you wanna throw up. I did it in a 87 929 mazda drove sunshine coast in qld to ayers rock then to melb then back to qld 8500k's and not one prob with the car besides two broken headlights, pushed in front bar, one indicator and a totally rooted front quater panel where the stupid kangaroo decied to jump into the side of my car at a 140 kph

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Shounak might be a good idea to use stockies for tyres as they are better if you go off road on the gravel and not ruin the nice low profiles ones you got

You said its low so don't overload it to the hilt as the extra weight will cause problems or you can put in rear air pump up shocks to help

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Cheers.. Some good advice there..

I'm thinking of investing in a roo bar or similar. I'll see what I can find on eBay.. I might even just whack a different front bar on the car (probably an unpainted one, and just give it a quick black spray) and then change it when I get back..

About the oil change, yeah I'll do that and probably change the belt while I'm at it.

Anyone know of the availability of LPG there? I'm hoping a lot of the servo's in woop woop have gas..