Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RPM at 100km/h SS L77

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
Hi guys

Does anyone know what a standard VF SSV L77 Auto revs at 100km/h.

Trying to find out because I just had my car tuned and both Normal and Sports modes seem exactly the same. There is no difference in the gear changes when switching from one to the other.

I have a feeling that something is not right with the tune, and possibly the torque converter lockup.

Mine revs at 1500rpm at 100.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Not that I have a SS, but that sounds about right and that's where my SV6 hovers.

There is no difference between Normal and Sports mode (revs wise that is), just that it sharpens throttle response and will hold a gear longer when accelerating. An easy way to test this (that I've found) is to have it in sports mode then give it about half throttle, it might only drop down one gear. But then put it in sports mode and give it half throttle, and you should notice that it will drop down a few more gears.

Seeing as though my VF is currently getting a new timing chain at Holden's expense I can't type up what the manual says, but I do have my old VEII SV6 manual and this is what it says regarding sports mode:

SPORTS SHIFT MODE:
Sport shift mode can be selected where maximum engine power and transmission responsiveness is required. When operated in sport shift mode, the transmission will delay upshits upshifts and allow earlier downshifts.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
oztech007, if your torque comverter wasn’t locking up you’d see variations in revs which weren’t proportional to road-speed differences as you accelerated ... put the foot in a tiny bit at 100, and the revs would go up before your speed did.

Aa tune can’t affect gearing; but might affect torque-converter lockup.

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply's guys.
What is sort of worrying me, is that before the tune, if I was coasting at 100Km/h in Normal Shift, and then push it into Sports shift, the revs would jump up. But now its exactly the same going from Normal to Sports with no change in revs.
Also, the Shifts in normal mode are quite firm, like all of the Torque management has been taken out (ie very sudden, almost like a direct change)
But when I put it into Sports Mode, the Shifts are exactly the same as the Normal Mode (Absolutly no difference at all)

So it feels like I only have one mode now.
I have rang the tuner and they are going to look at it on Monday.

I had a VE tuned by them years ago, and there was no problems at all. In my VE, Normal mode drove quite well, in which they took most of the torque management out, but in Sports mode, the Shifts were a lot firmer.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
What is sort of worrying me, is that before the tune, if I was coasting at 100Km/h in Normal Shift, and then push it into Sports shift, the revs would jump up. But now its exactly the same going from Normal to Sports with no change in revs.
You’ll have an answer Monday, so this info won’t help you much ... but in our VF, when sitting at 100 & cruising along the highway, switching between D and S makes no obvious difference.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
You’ll have an answer Monday, so this info won’t help you much ... but in our VF, when sitting at 100 & cruising along the highway, switching between D and S makes no obvious difference.
Same here, pre and post tune.

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update: So I took it back to the VCM Tuners on Monday. We went for a drive and showed him whats happening.
There is something not right. We have determined that both "Normal" Mode & "Sports" Mode are exactly the same. Basically its acting as "Normal" in both modes. There is no Gear Holding in Sports mode, and it SHOULD change down a gear when going 80-90 in 6th when you drop it into Sports mode. (Basically for when your going up an incline, so it is more responsive). It also doesnt hold gears when you push it a bit hard in Sports mode. It just acts normally.

He told me that he could Flash the Standard Transmission Shifts back into it, but I said that I paid for the more firmer shifts and more responsive shifts as part of the tune, and I don't want it back to standard.
I would prefer the Sports Mode to be fairly firm and responsive and act like the sports mode should, and maybe a less aggressive Normal Mode.
So I will orginize to leave the car there again and see what he can do.

I am dissapointed in what they have done. Didnt have a problem with my previous VE SS. Will see what happens.