Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rpms increase and stick when changing gears

Red_Demon24

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ute
hey guys,
i have a v6 vu ute 5 speed manual and my friend has a v6 vx sedan which is also a 5 speed manual.
to get to the point in both of our cars when you change gears the revs seem to go up about 200-500rpm (yes 200rpm not 2000rpm) or sometimes when you change gears say you get to 3 grand take my foot off the accelarator, clutch in it will sit on 3 grand for a second before the revs drop down.
i have read that maybe it is the iac sensore so we have bought new iac sensors and both iac sensors were too small they just came apart in the throttle body which was weird, but we have tested the original iac's and they are working fine they move in and out with no problems which leads me to belive that it isnt the iac, also we tried replacing the throttle position sensor that has also not fixed this and also have checked that the throttle isnt sticking have lubed up the cables and it only does this when im changing gears. is anyone else experincing this and is it something that can be fixed i have google searched heaps and all i seem to get is maybe its the iac sensore or that when the clutch pedal is depressed it touches a switch that tells the ECU to increase the revs to make the ger changes smoother. i dont think this the case though.
has anyone excperienced or experiencing this problem? any light shed appon this problem would be greatly apprecited.
thanks guys.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Are you reseting the computer after changing the sensors? I had a similar problem caused by the TPS and I had 2 TPS 'S in a row that were stuffed

Richie217

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 R8 Clubsport
Not sure if it's the same in the VX & VU as the VR. But in the VR you just disconnect the battery for 15minutes to reset the ECU.

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
yea mate i have a vx v6 5 speed manual as well, and only noticed it heaps after a full extractors/exhaust job, i thought it might be a back pressure on the factory cat ( havent got a hiflow cat yet ) as the exhaust is now 2.5in and the Y piece is still 2in ( i think the factory size is ) could this be the problem or does anyone now what we could do to fix it?

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
It is part of the Tune, nothing wrong with your engines. The autos do it to when they back off the revs pulse a little bit before slowly dropping.

Why does it bother you's ?
As I have had my VY manual ute from new & I don't even notice it.

Cheers

Deek

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
i have this on my vt and i hate it lol yea its due in relation to the emmision control and egr valve, which is why the super6 and v8s dont do it.
Not to say that if you block your egr or something it will stop, pretty sure you cant do anything about it, and love for someone to prove me wrong though as id love to get rid of it lol

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
It is part of the Tune, nothing wrong with your engines. The autos do it to when they back off the revs pulse a little bit before slowly dropping.

Why does it bother you's ?
As I have had my VY manual ute from new & I don't even notice it.

Cheers

Deek

drivers me insane mate

Red_Demon24

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ute
yeahh same here im with MR_VX, i didnt notice it that much but now i have a 2 1/2'' catback you can tell much more that it does it, i cannot see why it would be ment to do this, it dosnt seem right, it must be something not working properly but im out of idea's on what it might be ive tried alot of things and nothing seems to fix this,
i do have an update though last night i unplugged my ECU for about 15-20 minutes plugged it back in and it was actually pretty good, when i changed gears the revs wouldnt go up but they would hang around a little bit but not as long and better than usuall, but now it has gone back to its old ways and revs up about 200rpm when changing gears and the revs also hang there for a bit, all i can think of is after a few drives the ecu is reseting itself back into its old ways and telling the car to do it.

Red_Demon24

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ute
hey guys i have done some more searching and have read alot about these dual mass flywheels and some people are saying that is what is causing this, but then why would only some of our cars have this problem and not others with the same cars with dual mass flywheels, can the flywheel become faulty and make this problem happen? i cannot see why holden would sell car's off the showroom floor doing this, i cannot be a standard thing, and i hope it isnt because i really do not like it. does anyone know more about these flywheels and wether of not that is what is doing this, and if so is there any way of stopping this rev during gears problem, would a new solid flywheel stop this from happening? im really out of ideas.