Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rpms increase and stick when changing gears

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by Red_Demon24, May 23, 2010.

1. Red_Demon24

Red_Demon24 New Member

Members Ride:
    vu ute
    hey guys,
    i have a v6 vu ute 5 speed manual and my friend has a v6 vx sedan which is also a 5 speed manual.
    to get to the point in both of our cars when you change gears the revs seem to go up about 200-500rpm (yes 200rpm not 2000rpm) or sometimes when you change gears say you get to 3 grand take my foot off the accelarator, clutch in it will sit on 3 grand for a second before the revs drop down.
    i have read that maybe it is the iac sensore so we have bought new iac sensors and both iac sensors were too small they just came apart in the throttle body which was weird, but we have tested the original iac's and they are working fine they move in and out with no problems which leads me to belive that it isnt the iac, also we tried replacing the throttle position sensor that has also not fixed this and also have checked that the throttle isnt sticking have lubed up the cables and it only does this when im changing gears. is anyone else experincing this and is it something that can be fixed i have google searched heaps and all i seem to get is maybe its the iac sensore or that when the clutch pedal is depressed it touches a switch that tells the ECU to increase the revs to make the ger changes smoother. i dont think this the case though.
    has anyone excperienced or experiencing this problem? any light shed appon this problem would be greatly apprecited.
    thanks guys.

2. vsl67

vsl67 Member

Members Ride:
    VS l67 statesman
    Are you reseting the computer after changing the sensors? I had a similar problem caused by the TPS and I had 2 TPS 'S in a row that were stuffed

3. Red_Demon24

Red_Demon24 New Member

Members Ride:
    vu ute
    how did you reset the computer?

4. Richie217

Richie217 Member

Members Ride:
    VX S2 R8 Clubsport
    Not sure if it's the same in the VX & VU as the VR. But in the VR you just disconnect the battery for 15minutes to reset the ECU.

5. MR_VX

MR_VX Forced to be Fast

Members Ride:
    VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
    yea mate i have a vx v6 5 speed manual as well, and only noticed it heaps after a full extractors/exhaust job, i thought it might be a back pressure on the factory cat ( havent got a hiflow cat yet ) as the exhaust is now 2.5in and the Y piece is still 2in ( i think the factory size is ) could this be the problem or does anyone now what we could do to fix it?

6. OZ38

OZ38 Member

Members Ride:
    VS V6 T5 & VY V6 M35 UTE
    It is part of the Tune, nothing wrong with your engines. The autos do it to when they back off the revs pulse a little bit before slowly dropping.

Why does it bother you's ?
    As I have had my VY manual ute from new & I don't even notice it.

Cheers

Deek

7. vt s

vt s New Member

Members Ride:
    vt s s1
    i have this on my vt and i hate it lol yea its due in relation to the emmision control and egr valve, which is why the super6 and v8s dont do it.
    Not to say that if you block your egr or something it will stop, pretty sure you cant do anything about it, and love for someone to prove me wrong though as id love to get rid of it lol

8. MR_VX

MR_VX Forced to be Fast

Members Ride:
    VX S pac SII Raptorcharged

drivers me insane mate

9. Red_Demon24

Red_Demon24 New Member

Members Ride:
    vu ute
    yeahh same here im with MR_VX, i didnt notice it that much but now i have a 2 1/2'' catback you can tell much more that it does it, i cannot see why it would be ment to do this, it dosnt seem right, it must be something not working properly but im out of idea's on what it might be ive tried alot of things and nothing seems to fix this,
    i do have an update though last night i unplugged my ECU for about 15-20 minutes plugged it back in and it was actually pretty good, when i changed gears the revs wouldnt go up but they would hang around a little bit but not as long and better than usuall, but now it has gone back to its old ways and revs up about 200rpm when changing gears and the revs also hang there for a bit, all i can think of is after a few drives the ecu is reseting itself back into its old ways and telling the car to do it.

10. Red_Demon24

Red_Demon24 New Member

Members Ride:
    vu ute
    hey guys i have done some more searching and have read alot about these dual mass flywheels and some people are saying that is what is causing this, but then why would only some of our cars have this problem and not others with the same cars with dual mass flywheels, can the flywheel become faulty and make this problem happen? i cannot see why holden would sell car's off the showroom floor doing this, i cannot be a standard thing, and i hope it isnt because i really do not like it. does anyone know more about these flywheels and wether of not that is what is doing this, and if so is there any way of stopping this rev during gears problem, would a new solid flywheel stop this from happening? im really out of ideas.

11. daggett

daggett Crazy Tiger

Members Ride:
    VY II Wagon
    I have a solid flywheel setup and nope still holds rev's between gear changes.

12. Red_Demon24

Red_Demon24 New Member

Members Ride:
    vu ute
    ohhk yeahh i couldnt really see the flywheel being the cause of this...
    whats the solid flywheel set up like any better??
    i whent for a drive in my mates v6 5spd manual vy ute yesterday and his is perfect when changing gears so this has to be fixable...
    im thinking it is either the ECU telling the car to do it, or something in the intake line or throttle body, i have been thinking MAF sensor but im not sure its really got me stumped, im getting a quote this week sometime to get the car put on a dyno the mechanic i was speaking to thinks something isnt right aswell he dosnt believe it should do it

13. vt s

vt s New Member

Members Ride:
    vt s s1
    the solid flywheel is ok not much difference you wouldnt even notice. a must do for when your clutch craps itself and
    yea i would say taking it to for a dyno tune may be the only fix. Ive aso had a mechanic put this suggestion to me
    In theory it would be just as simple as a sticky tps but as ive seen many people go buy brand new tps and iac and to no ressolve this may be the go.
    The guy may be able to play with the ecu to fix it on the dyno.
    Be sure to let us know how you go

14. OZ38

OZ38 Member

Members Ride:
    VS V6 T5 & VY V6 M35 UTE
    As I said above it is part of the tune. Nothng to do with flywheels etc. Putting it on the dyno will do nothing for you unless they are going to alter the tune.

Cheers

Deek

15. Red_Demon24

Red_Demon24 New Member

Members Ride:
    vu ute
    but if it was part of the tune wouldnt all the cars do it? i have been in a vt that dosnt do it, a vy that dosnt do it and also a vu that dosnt, i have been in alot more cars but only took notice in these recently to see if they did do it or not and they didnt:S
    if your saying their cars are faulty because they dont do it, i would deffinately not be getting it fixed if i was them.

16. Lschu23

Lschu23 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vx S2 s-PAC
    Was there any avail to having the car tuned? I hate how the car does it, it drives me nuts!

17. Brett_jjj

Brett_jjj Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    This seems to happen a lot with commodores that have been converted to manual from auto, its to do with the tune, as a lot of manual conversions just use a modified auto tune instead of the factory manual ECU. Ive noticed that when I leave my auto in neutral with the engine running and roll it downhill, the engine revs will rise up well over 1000 rpm. Id say theres some setting in the auto tune that uses the vehicle speed sensor input to adjust revs, as this is the only sensor that can detect that the vehicle is rolling downhill when in neutral..

18. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    good dig lol.its programmed in the tune to open the iac when the car is rolling so it doesnt die when you clutch in.adding exhausts etc make the iac counts in the tune to high and they rev a bit more than stock.it also happens if anyone has messed with the idle screw and opened the tb more than stock and the tune still commands the same amount of steps for a more closed TB.

19. Charlievx

Charlievx New Member

Members Ride:
    Vx s2
    Mine is a converted manual VX and I have this problem too. It will stick for a good 3 seconds very annoying. I will be going for a dyno tune at chip torque soon. Do you think they can modify this in the tune?

20. Lschu23

Lschu23 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vx S2 s-PAC
    I thought it was in the tune. It's so gay though, i love my car so much but this one thing just makes me hate it sometimes, and that's saying something.. Can anyone recommend a place to get it tuned around Brisbane? Or could it be fixed by putting a tuned ecu or something likewise in it. Thanks in advance