Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RS exhaust note

SteveyJay

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF-II 3.6 Calais-V Sedan
Hey guys.
New here, don’t know a lot about cars, but I just bought a 2016 VF Calais V 3.6L.
And I was interested in the exhaust sound and how it differed greatly to the newer 3.6L V6 RS lift back that I hired last week on holidays... the RS had a great sound when the engine started and under moderate to heavy acceleration... however my VF sounds very plain and underwhelming... what’s the difference? as it seems to have the same engine(?) and what does it take to make mine sound like that RS?

Also, just out of curiosity, how does one choose a muffler/exhaust, as in, how do you know what it sounds like before you purchase and install one at an exhaust shop? Sorry if these questions are just plain dumb.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I have NFI, but my guess is because the VF has the motor and exhaust mounted in the correct direction, and the RS doesn't.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Engine in the rs might be the same capacity but it isn’t the same engine the whole car is completely different from your vf mate and you can get an aftermarket cat back exhaust system for your car but just be careful coz if you get the wrong one it will sound like crap

SteveyJay

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF-II 3.6 Calais-V Sedan
Engine in the rs might be the same capacity but it isn’t the same engine the whole car is completely different from your vf mate and you can get an aftermarket cat back exhaust system for your car but just be careful coz if you get the wrong one it will sound like crap
Oh okay, (shows how little I know).
So to my other question, how do you know which exhaust to get? Some sound like wet farts, others drone terribly... how do you know which one will sound best?
Or do the exhaust shop people just know, and you trust them?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Would think a Di fillipo 2.5” system would sound decent on a V6 mate but I don’t really know too much about the v6 systems myself

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Do search on youtube maybe bookface to see what similar cars sound like & what exhaust they're using then decide if it's worth the coin.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Different engines, with different layouts.

The ZBs have a different variant of the alloytec, called the LGX.
Your VF has an LFX in it.

The LGX is a 4th gen alloytec, doesn't share the same block dimensions as the previous gen. Has wider bore spacing, higher compression (11.5:1 vs 11.3:1), bigger intake and exhaust valves and a higher max RPM. As such the LGX makes about 20 extra kW at the fly.

I'd say that the nicer note comes from unequal exhaust header lengths due to its transverse layout. That's also why subarus have that signature "Rumble" for, because the pulses from the left bank and right bank hit the Y pipe or turbo at different points, which makes a different sound.

If you want a nice exhaust on your VF i can recommend grabbing some E1 bimodals and removing your centre muffler, then adding a cross or H pipe where the old muffler was. A good trick to figure out where to put a cross is to grab a wax crayon and draw on the underside of your pipes when cold. Start the car and get back under it. Where the wax stops melting, that's where you stick the centre of the cross.

That way the cross actually does what a well placed y-pipe does, and creates a scavenging effect from the exhaust, as well as a nice, meaty tone. Don't expect it to sound like a V8 though. Think more... Nissan 370Z.

Also, no need to change the pipe diameter. The stock pipes are plenty for the stock setup.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Would think a Di fillipo 2.5” system would sound decent on a V6.

I'm still yet to hear an alloytec/LFX/variant sound like anything other than like a Honda Prelude with a straight pipe.
As said above, the ZB's engine is vastly different so unless you hear an exhaust on one, you really have no way of knowing what it's going to sound like.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
I'm still yet to hear an alloytec/LFX/variant sound like anything other than like a Honda Prelude with a straight pipe.
As said above, the ZB's engine is vastly different so unless you hear an exhaust on one, you really have no way of knowing what it's going to sound like.

That's because sixes sound completely different to V8s and yet most exhausts are optimised for V8s in terms of tuning, etc. Shouldn't be too bad if you don't delete the centre reso. aftermarket V8 exhausts tend to do away with the reso to bring out more growl from the engine, but with a six you end up with some pretty horrible raspiness at high RPM with those.

Would think a Di fillipo 2.5” system would sound decent on a V6 mate but I don’t really know too much about the v6 systems myself

I think it'd end up sounding worse tbh. Those exhausts are optimised for V8 applications. Unless you go for the Bimodal variant, and then you'd realistically only want the DiFillppo mufflers. Keep the stock centre pipes, do away with the centre muffler instead. That way you'll get a little extra volume, and your raspiness isn't so harsh. Maybe add a crosspipe in place of that muffler for the potential scavenging effect.