Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rtmpgt's super-happy-fun-time LLT mod thread.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Hi all, So this is a bit of a megathread. It's all to do with the mods i'm making to the LLT that's in my ute.

Part 1: Active Exhaust McGuffins.
So I'm in the process of developing a few things for my Ute's LLT. I've recently installed HSV Bimodal mufflers, and wanted to actually get them working. I hear running straight pipes on an SV6 makes it sound like the farts of a deadbeat dad, so I decided to go with something with some form of active noise control to reduce drone and keep the boomer farts out of the exhaust.

Hence, Maloo mufflers. There's only one problem though. All the vacuum lines going into the Alloytec are solid, and I'm not game enough to cut them up and risk creating unnecessary vacuum leaks.

"So, drill and tap the manifold" one might say.

Well, me being an anxious little so and so, I also did a run around to try and find a wrecker who'd sell me just an intake manifold... No dice. Wouldn't separate them. Only sold with complete long engines. Rats!

So after downing a cup of Joe, I cracked out the verniers and came up with this...

pgta-ll01-72%20-%2072mm%20throttle%20body%20spacer%20plate%20with%203%20npt%20ports%20(view%203)316x360.jpg

It's a spacer which goes between the TB and the Intake manifold, and it's designed essentially to add three NPT ports to the Driver's side of the intake. I did it this way as I don't really want to drill into the IM and potentially balls it up, and I want to reverse it if I do decide to sell the car or transplant the engine into something else.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress of things here. There's big plans for this engine. Boost? SC? Who knows? I'll keep you posted.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
So, I've just recieved images of the prototype part for the throttle body spacer from the machinist's. Should arrive at my doorstep at some point this week.

1584065561771_2x.jpg

I've also ordered a second throttle body spacer gasket as well. This should provide adequate sealing with the IM. I also need to source four M6 bolts that are at least 15mm longer as this throttle body spacer is 15mm thick. Will fit it as soon as all of the parts arrive.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
So, the spacer arrived! Decided to fit it today, and plumb the lines into the Bimodals and man, what can I say...

Having this piece poking out from just behind the engine cover looks sweet! The RTV? Not so much. Don't worry though, this is a temporary fix until my gasket comes in. I wanted to test to see how it seals and how well it fits into the engine bay.

The sound at idle is fantastic. When the engine's warmed up there's next to no sound coming from the exhaust. When you bury the loud pedal though, it sounds pretty freakin' nice... for a V6 that is.

Centre muffler delete is next. I'll crack out the tripod and some sound recording gear to get you guys a clip of the exhaust.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-03-24 at 12.57.02 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-24 at 12.57.02 PM.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 318
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-03-26 at 11.48.47 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-26 at 11.48.47 AM.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 347

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
So I finally pulled my finger out and put a little video together!

Turns out one of the mufflers has a mad rattle in it. Next time it's on the hoist I'll give it a sticky.

Sounds alright even though I was keeping the revs low, so as to not annoy the neighbours.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Looking forward to more off this.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
I've made some revisions to the design of the plate, and in another 1000km, i'll send off to get that plate machined.

I've also been teaching myself Autodesk Inventor to get access to better features, such as better smoothing functions on fillets. I want to also improve the flow of air through this part to allow for better airflow into the IM.

The LLT intake manifold also has a pretty big step-up portion which causes the air to change direction pretty radically as it goes into the plenum chamber of the IM. the airpath has to take a solid right-angle vertical change in direction before it gets routed properly.

http://www.jacfab.net/Laminator-FX--Laminar-Flow-Mod_p_32.html

JacFab manufactures a Laminar flow spacer to help correct this, however this is for the LFX engine. I'd like to get a hold of one of these at some point to see if an LLT variant can be made.

On the exhaust front, Manta/DiFillipo makes an appropriate centre section that i'm keen to try out. Shipping a GTSR Maloo centre section from the eastern states (Planet Parts) will be a complete pain in the butt for me, and would probably cost the same as buying a properly tuned centre section from Manta.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
So in recent updates, I've acquired a Hsv gauge pod and decided I'd do something a little different... Get some custom gauge ring surrounds made.
1595229127111-1.JPEG

These are made from hand polished and CNC machined 316G stainless and feature a shelf which a small watch glass made from 3.5mm thick perspex sits in. Got these made to match the Likewise shifter and Chrome G8 door handles in the car.

IMG-20200628-WA0011.jpeg

I de-ringed my existing gauges, and secured them in with some black polyurethane. These rings will sit inside the inner lip of these gauges and be held in with a small dot of clear silicone on the inside.

So, why all this effort for some gauges? Well, the MRC button is going to be used with a Tein EDFC system and a relay controlled by a BBC Micro:Bit, which will act as a switch to enable a stiffer suspension setting when I eventually swap in for coilovers.

Also allows me to view what my engine is up to in terms of vacuum and oil pressures. The vacuum deffo comes in handy with the active mufflers, haha.

The car is also going in next week for its centre muffler removal. I'll post some clips of the exhaust pre and post muffler delete.

Jules from Mettams said to me "it's not going to sound as good as you think it will" to which my response was "yeah, I know. It's not going to sound like a V8. More like a 350Z or something"

Tbh, I just a little extra volume from the pipes, haha.

I'm going with a centre muffler delete with a H pipe. The hotdog mufflers will remain in place to mute a bit of raspiness.

Last edited:

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Okay, so it turns out that the factory 2010 SV6 exhaust... Has no resonators?

I deleted the centre muffler, and man... I'm having mixed feelings.

Down low, if you keep the vacuum above say, 5InHg, or you lug the car below the point where she "Climbs on the cam" (i.e, when it's not in the powerband) it makes some really nice growly noises... But past that point, when you pull hard or just get into the powerband? Oh man... It sounds like a riced out prelude! Yuck!

So, back on the hoist we go! While i'm in dropping the oil, may as well see what the G.O is.

So when I took the bugger to the guys at Mettams in Morley, they've cut out the (frankly, massive) cenny muffler and replaced them with a pair of 2.25" Straight sections. They left this weirdo "cross over" box in the back (apparently that's what they think it is...) which if true, would probs do basically nothing for scavenging or flow.

It turns out I could fit at least a 15" pair of glasspack resonators (Hotdogs) in this section.
20201018_143032.jpg

(Don't mind my shitty writing here. I took notes for a parts quote lol. )

And in this front section here, the pipes run about 35-40mm apart. I got a measurement of 37mm from Inside to Inside, but my eyes could be a bit skew-whiff here.

20201018_142834.jpg

Now, given this really confined space and the 40 (ish) mm spacing, it's lead me to consider something this ebay listed item for the crossover, although I don't know what the everloving heck "Aluminised Steel" is. I assume it's Mild steel that's been aluminium coated? I know that Magnaflow makes a stainless section for this bit but well, I don't want to get shot by the Exhaust Gestapo for mixing Mild and Stanless in me pipes.

As for the doggies? These look like they should do the trick just nicely. I can theoretically fit 15s in that spot, but I don't want to give the fellas at Mettam's and or DIY Garage a huge pain in the neck to fit them, and well I feel that the flanges would help. The question is though, is this the right spot to cut out high-end noise or do I have to stick 'em closer to the engine to mute the "old man who lives solely on a diet of prunes farty noise" out of the 'zorst?

As for the updated IM plate? It's not that I'm lazy or anything... The part's been designed and is pretty much ready to go, but i've just been busy with a couple of other things... Saving for a house and whatnot. I've also got some rear speakers coming in. Will probs not post those here since they're not exactly performance related but it's definitely something i'm looking forward to.

Will keep you posted as bits and pieces come in :)

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
So, me being the king of all cheapskates, I swapped back to a non-AFM VE SS exhaust and man, what a difference! Perfect in terms of tone but it could be louder. I think that with some custom fabricated tips I might get a bit of extra volume from the exhaust without the **** note that the straight centre provides.

So about putting tips on the E1 Bimodals? Well, It turns out that the E1 Bimodal pipe spacing is a lot more narrow when compared to the stock ute exhausts. The largest tip you could theoretically fit on to these exhausts is a 3" tip. Dammit, I want more tip! I also like the idea of a Trapezoidal or ovular design to better fill the arches, so I intend on getting some exhaust tips fabricated around late-Juneish.

They also do something really weird as far as actuators are concerned. They step up to a 2.5" section, then they fit a Normally Closed vacuum actuation flap, then they step back down to 2.25". Absurd!

Since i've got the dreaded Bimodal rattle I'm almost half inclined to crack out the Sawzall and replace these actuators after I get the timing chains done. Just gotta buy a Sawzall.... And a welder.

As for the active control? Well, I've been tinkering around for a while with an Arduino to get some remotely controlled relays sorted. Basically the way I intend on getting these working is to use a trio of air solenoids to connect to one a second VE Brake vacuum pump, another to the engine and a third to vent to atmosphere for the three different exhaust modes (Comfort, Sport and Track). It'll be controlled via the "Track" button in the dashboard pod assembly and will also eventually control the Mode switch for the Tein Street Advance coilovers I intend on putting on this thing. (Something, something variable and active damping settings)

More posts as they come. been busy moving into a new house, so they'll be few and far between.

H

harrop.senator

Welders out on lend ATM. (Isn't actually mine but almost always lives at my house and I just fab anything up for the owner asks. )

Sawzalls in the shed.

Don't know where you moved to but Morley's ten minutes from me. If you can figure everything out you want and I'm home working on other things you can bring it around.