Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RTS diff gears

180wanabe

Reaction score
Members Ride
400hp Nissan S15, VE SS ute ELVLS2 mule
Hey mate, did you end up buying any 3.9s? I've been looking and it seems choices are junk, or junk and the only way to fix the problem with them is to run the gears through the lapping tank to get them to run smooth. But doing the latter means sending them to Adelaide.
Nar I just stuck with what was there as the diff is nice and tight with no backlash, was just concerned because of the sticker that was on the diff.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Talking to the diff builder tonight and it seems that Motive Gear are about the best on offer for the VE if you want 3.9s. They are apparently not great but the alternatives are far worse.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Talking to the diff builder tonight and it seems that Motive Gear are about the best on offer for the VE if you want 3.9s. They are apparently not great but the alternatives are far worse.
So, are you saying tru trac in the ve range is crap? (I dont know, thats why l'am asking).
Heres a couple of links to a tru trac. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3041814...MIxIeas5af-AIVAJlmAh0QLgHfEAYYBSABEgIDRfD_BwE
Heres another. https://www.lsxperformanceparts.com.au/harrop-eaton-truetrac-ls-ve-vf/

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No, referring to the diff gears. There are a couple of Trutrac copies getting around too, The only good one of those is a Harrop.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Harrop isn't a copy, it's genuine parts, they use Eaton internals but manufacture the outer casing to suit our local diffs. They are actually better quality than the Eaton units.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Harrop isn't a copy, it's genuine parts, they use Eaton internals but manufacture the outer casing to suit our local diffs. They are actually better quality than the Eaton units.
No didn't say it was, if that is what it sounded like? There are places out there selling Trutrac copies. These copies are not genuine Harrop's. Harrop's are around $1500 the copies are $1000 or less.

If I refer to a Trutrac I try to call it a Harrop. Because the fakes are also calling theirs a Trutrac.