Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rudd's Crackdown on welfare for under 20's

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Rudd's crackdown on welfare for under 20s | Business | News.com.au

PEOPLE aged under 20 who are not working, studying or training will lose the Youth Allowance under a goverment push to set the nation up for a strong recovery from the ongoing recession.

The tighter eligibility standards on the Youth Allowance will also apply to Family Tax Benefit Part A, meaning the parents of young people who are not at school or in training will no longer be eligible for the benefit.

This should be interesting. What do you think about the proposal?

cr212

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
thats the government trying to make up for all those stimulus packages being handed out

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
encourage more younger people not to bother studying, but to drop out and get a low paying job instead. why dont they scrap the baby bonus for dole bludgers before getting rid of something that benefits students trying to study.

edit - reread it. still applies to people studying. makes sense. i thought youth allowance was for people studying only

Last edited:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I can kind of agree with that. I'd like to see the detail and conditions but it seems fair enough.

I noticed the article also mentions high school retention (raising the minimum school leavers age to 17). Well as a high school teacher myself I can give a few insights... This is supposed to be implemented and active as of January 1 next year. However as of this moment it still has not even been legislated. The state governments are waiting for the federal government to do it and visa versa. No one wants to touch it. On top of that there's no mention of increased funding to deal with this 'supposedly' increase in the number of students per school.

Rudd's ideas are just that. Ideas! He NEVER thinks anything through. He doesn't plan and never thinks about how something will be done. Kind of like expecting a five star, three course restaurant quality meal on an RAAF plane when you forget to hire the chef! :whistling

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
This proposal can be looked at from a couple of angles.

Firstly those Youth on an allowance who live at home, do not have their payments activity tested, which means they do not have to comply with job searching requirements. This encourages some youth who are not motivated to find employment to begin a lifestyle of dole bludging. Either taking the payment away or making it activity tested would push a portion of these Youth to find jobs. However those who have been forced out of home by parent's who no longer want them around for whatever reason, will be in dire straights if there is no welfare payments available to them.

Secondly there is a concern that if you remove the Youth payment, the rebellious ones will turn to crime rather than find work or further study.

Lastly you have to wonder if there will be enough work or study places for all these Youth if the payments stop. Currently a Youth who leaves school at 18 and is genuinely looking for employment can at least have a few dollars for clothes and bus fares if living at home, till he/she sources employment.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
So long as theres enough affordable schooling for everyone in every location in the Country it's no problem. Can they get the all local TAFES that good remains to be seen :). Alot of people are going to be without a job for at least the next two years and uni is going to be too expensive and hard to get a spot in for most people so there's going to have to be a pretty big upgrade in other schools to fit everyone in. Until the economy gets better (doubtful it ever will) but we will see about that too :). Exciting times. As for article itself having left school during the last recession I can see his point. Yes I could have moved to the city but my choice of staying here ultimately cost me a couple million bucks over the long term compared to my friends that did leave to more prosperous areas. If there were a uni here or something for those of us that stayed in the country jobless it would have been much better.

Still to this day there are 100s of 35-40 year olds around here that never did get anywhere when they left school during the 60% school leaver unemployment that was 1990-1992 in country areas. By the time things came good the current school leavers were able to slot into the new jobs but those from a few years before were very much a lost generation. That kind of thing hasn't been seen since then and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. So hopefully they can work something out

Last edited:

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Seems like a good idea. Although i dont think ANYONE should get welfare: LOL

istock_can-of-worms.jpg

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
It's abouttime, some bludgers dont do sht casue they can get cash from welfare..and half the time they just write any jobs they have chassed from the phonebook and centerlink doesnt even check... i know ive seen a few mates do this in the past when i was onced used for a taxi lol!!! smart ass ppl lol

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
^ Take a trip to the USA and spend some time walking the city streets if you have the balls for it rather than hiding away in some hotel and you will soon see why welfare is the one and only reason the UK and Australia are safer and better places to live. It's VERY important. In almost any major US city, walk around in the night and the vast majority of people are

A. Homeless.
B Drug dealers.
C Crazy.
D All of the Above

I've done the walk quite a few times in different cities, it's enlightening to say the least. You would be suprised how many US citizens just don't know about it because there are areas they just wont go to. I felt much less safe there than I did in the most dodgy areas I could possibly find in Mexico and I was really looking so I got an idea of the inner core of each place I went to. But yeah Australia is safe x 1000 and that's about the only the reason why you are all living in peace and don't need bars on your windows, 10 deadlocks on your doors and a security team gaurding the entrance to your private razor wire fenced suburb. That's normal reality in the richer areas of Mexico because there's plenty of people with nothing and no way to survive other than stealing your stuff, deperate people can and will do desperate things

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Sounds like a variation on the Howard governments "mutual obligation" scheme for the dole. I think it should be extended.

Reaper