Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rumble-1979 HZ Kingswood Ute

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ok, firstly i respect that you are doing stuff. thats a start. and cos' youre posting on a public forum, im gonna assume youre up for advice. so. please remember that before i started my own car, i had no idea about this ****, and i learned pretty much everything off JC. so with that in mind, lets go:

this:
20130508_141945_zpse2029711.jpg

is more than surface rust. you can "rust treat" this till the cows come home, but what you have done wont get rid of it. instead itll just blister and lift the bog. you can either:

1. grind it with a savage grinding disc, shave off 0.2mm or so till its all shiny metal then smooth it with a flapper. BUT there will still be pits where its gone all the way through. you ca find the pits by sticking a scribe in them. if the scribe goes through, then its a hole. not surface rust.
2. use the oxy to heat up the pits, burn the oxidisation off, then braise it to bring the panel width back up. BUT you run the risk of cooking the panel and warping it
3. cut the whole strip off and tack on a new strip
4. get a new door. this is what most beaters would do.

me personally, i would oxy up the holes.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Haha ari, bog is GOOD!!!
You're right though, should be done properly.and if you oxy it, you can then push out those dents from the inside a little easier.

If I had my time again, I would've done my panel work properly too. Now I've got to wait. :(

Taking donations of cash, card or full frontal nudity.

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exe Wagon, '78 HZ Kingswood SL, '79 HZ 1 Tonner
were gonna have to teach you how to use a dolly :)

How to use a dolly... One of the many things I need to learn how to use, along with a welder, oxy torch, and paint gun.

To hopefully clean up a few things. One thanks for the advise, it's always appreciated, I've learnt so much off guys on JC. As for the bogging, just wanted to smooth the pitting, i didn't know the rust would reoccur, the whole point of this was to slow/stop further rusting.

This ute is my daily so major panel work is not an option yet (at least until my other car is mobile again) though the plan is eventually to straighten her out and when I do, I'll properly, beat, cut and weld and paint, i just don't have the skills, time or transport at the minute.

But when I get round to it.... U are welcome to show me how to smack dolly around ari

-from an underfunded hoon

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exe Wagon, '78 HZ Kingswood SL, '79 HZ 1 Tonner
ok so lets carry on then shall we?

ok. so what-the-fk-is the point of bogging if you are gonna leave the dent in the front of this panel?
20130508_160200_zpsd30a5c2a.jpg

edit: in fact, there are 2 visible in that pic.

edit edit: make that 3 dents

3 dents? Thank god that only shows a little of the car, you should see the rest of it!

-from an underfunded hoon

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
In the hour of time how long is the ute ment to last and how much money you want to spend is the question if you can get other doors at a good price or some new door skins would be the best way to do it if you don't want to spend much money knock it in and use a fibreglass based bog in the first layers you'll still need to bang the big dents out before you start putting the glass on , don't put it on over paint. Better doors would be the easiest way
Also can I ask why there's no shims in the front end? http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh555/tw1tch1e/20130502_083127_zpse738460a.jpg how does it steer?