Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rumble-1979 HZ Kingswood Ute

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
the_boozer;2443453 Also can I ask why there's no shims in the front end? [url said:
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh555/tw1tch1e/20130502_083127_zpse738460a.jpg[/url] how does it steer?
That is a good question, and I completely missed that, I've got nearly an inch on each side.

Taking donations of cash, card or full frontal nudity.

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exe Wagon, '78 HZ Kingswood SL, '79 HZ 1 Tonner
In the hour of time how long is the ute ment to last and how much money you want to spend is the question if you can get other doors at a good price or some new door skins would be the best way to do it if you don't want to spend much money knock it in and use a fibreglass based bog in the first layers you'll still need to bang the big dents out before you start putting the glass on , don't put it on over paint. Better doors would be the easiest way
Also can I ask why there's no shims in the front end? http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh555/tw1tch1e/20130502_083127_zpse738460a.jpg how does it steer?

I'm gonna sound noobish...but what am I missing and where? She steers ok, she is prone to occasionally tracking on the road but that's all I've noticed :-\

This is kind of a second project for me, I don't intend on getting rid of it until life, children, or money pressures me to do it lol

That said I may be able to get a fresh set of doors off a mate, as you said, a heap easier fix.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
just wanted to smooth the pitting, i didn't know the rust would reoccur, the whole point of this was to slow/stop further rusting.

yeah tots mate. no problem with what youve done. im just saying, if it were me. i would strip off the crap like youve done, rust treat it like youve done, but then just cover it in rattle can paint, until youre ready to move onto the rest of the door. cos eventually, youre gonna have to redo that section, and sticking bog in those pits is just making your life more difficult.

it does make it tough being your daily driver, but resto'ing it is still possible. you can do a door in a weekend:

remove door, window, wiring etc
use paint stripper to remove all paint/bog etc
sand with wizzy and 120
cut rust sections and replace
oxy pits and rust
hammer/dolly dents
sand/prepsol
lay filler over entire door
sand sand sand sand sand sand and then sand some more
fine filler and sand
primer
wet sand
paint.

and cos' your car is white it makes it SUPPPPER easy. buy a 6liter kit of 2k and then you just spray 1 panel at a time as you resto it :) suuuuper easy.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yperavu3.jpg

lol, ill be fkd before i ever drill holes in my roof.

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride

I wouldn't drill new holes, fortunately my ute used to have a external sunscreen so it's all pre-drilled

-from an underfunded hoon

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah tots mate. no problem with what youve done. im just saying, if it were me. i would strip off the crap like youve done, rust treat it like youve done, but then just cover it in rattle can paint, until youre ready to move onto the rest of the door. cos eventually, youre gonna have to redo that section, and sticking bog in those pits is just making your life more difficult.

it does make it tough being your daily driver, but resto'ing it is still possible. you can do a door in a weekend:

remove door, window, wiring etc
use paint stripper to remove all paint/bog etc
sand with wizzy and 120
cut rust sections and replace
oxy pits and rust
hammer/dolly dents
sand/prepsol
lay filler over entire door
sand sand sand sand sand sand and then sand some more
fine filler and sand
primer
wet sand
paint.

and cos' your car is white it makes it SUPPPPER easy. buy a 6liter kit of 2k and then you just spray 1 panel at a time as you resto it :) suuuuper easy.

Great minds think alike, after reading what you wrote last night, this morning I sanded everything I've done right back and then rattle canned over it for now while I gather everything I'll need to do it properly.

I'll chuck up some better pictures of the dents I'm facing tonight.

-from an underfunded hoon

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood

It's been there since day one, you'd be surprised, it's never leaked. I'll be going down to clark rubber eventually to replace it though.

sounds like yours needs to visit the rack.

impala has 5mm on one bolt and thats it. alignment done by pro's too. steers perfectly.

It's been that way since I got the car, always steered pretty well, it's got to much camber now since I dropped it, but I like it that way, I just aligned with a string line front to back!

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok...its been a while, there aren't too many updates.

Umm I finally got the dragways back on the ute, I reckon they look awesome.

The car is running fairly reliably, I replaced the radiator cap, but the radiator seems to have some kind of leak, some stop leak seems to have helped the leak, but it looks like im up for a new radiator.

One problem though, the heater fan seems to have packed in, which is awkward in the morning with the car fogged up....I take it that to fix this, the heater core needs replacing? which need the dash removing?

Other than that, the ute is up for rego at the end of the month, I've cleaned the engine block of oil,cleaned the diff, pulled the passenger's side door card off and cleaned out the interior door handle mechanism, so now all the doors open from the inside and out. I threw an new battery in, which seems to have fixed the problem of the battery light coming on at low revs, and I bashed out the crumpled passenger's side front corner, and fitted a lense cover, so the ute is the most legal it has ever been!

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Yay for Spagways!

Dunno about the heater, I never looked into my old ute having no heater, just wiped the windscreen with a rag, cracked the window a little and wore a big jacket!

But being a roadworthy item, you should probably fix it, and before the 8 goes in, otherwise it'll be an engine out job