Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running 91octane

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Nope. nothing to do with how hard it is to burn.
Octane indicates a fuels resistance to pre ignition.

Nothing to do with what? I think your adding on words I never said.

Like I said higher the octane gives it a higher resistance and preventing early pre ignition before the spark plug ignites it , therefore harder to ignite than 91.

Well no..to be fair, you actually said this:

A simple theory, if the car manufacturing engineering team who developed the car say use 91 then use it, if they say 95-98 use it, if they say E10-E85 use it they designed it to run on that fuel. Higher the octane harder it is to burn than lower octane, it wont hurt the engine that's what the knock sensor is there for to pull back the timing.

You never mentioned a thing about higher resistance and preventing early pre-ignition in your first post....so someone is adding words on but it's not the person who quoted you..

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Depending on the sort of terrain and whether the driving is mostly highway or a bit stop start a range of 900km is doable but if there weren't many petrol stations around I wouldn't plan on driving 900kms and risk getting stranded. 900kms is certainly doable as today I went on a drive with highway driving and not much traffic. I got about 500kms from half a tank (2006 VZ Executive) and the distance to empty read about 440km. In a VY I have got 1000kms from a tank. However todays driving was in mostly flat country. There were only a couple of hills. I had about 3/4 of a tank of 91 octane last night and topped up with 98 octane today.

That sounds great to achieve that economy, but I wouldn’t risk it either trying to squeeze 900k/s from a tank, where I would aim for probably say average of 700k/m from a tank, for piece of mind, as mentioned that does depend on the terrain and towns to slow down through,
I guess you could almost achieve the maximum economy if you were travelling across the Nullarbor.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well no..to be fair, you actually said this:

You never mentioned a thing about higher resistance and preventing early pre-ignition in your first post....so someone is adding words on but it's not the person who quoted you..
OMG.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I run mine on 91 because that's what The General built the engine to run on PROPERLY, and would NEVER let the tank get much below 1/2 way down.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
The distance to empty is like a magical being. it does a lot of calcs and other things to figure out amounts and values.

Best option, do it the old school way. When you feel up, fill up to the top and that same point each time.
check how many kms you've travelled and do the manual calcs.

For example my SS will say x amount of distance to empty and average of say another amount.
When depending on the travels will actually be different to doing the actual maths.
IE computer says 12.3L/100 and Distance may be 400km to empty.
When in reality its more like 10L/100 and 500km to empty when i've filled up