Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running a master cylinder without booster

Rowenb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Lately I've seen a few kits for older cars to run a wilwood mc without the booster. Does anyone one know if this is legal and could I do it to my old vp?

1991VNvacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Vacationer 1971 HQ Kingswood
Why, without the booster it will be hard to press the brake pedal.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
It can be legal if you get it approved by your state rego authority. There is no specific requirement to have a brake booster but there will be a general requirement that anyone can drive the car. Your typical grandmother has to be able to apply enough pedal pressure to stop the car.

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
Whats wrong with your factory brake setup ?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
to get a rwc in vic there is a requirement for brakes.
test involves a calibrated device that is attached to the pedal, measures the force applied to the brakes, speed and braking distance etc etc... if it doesn't perform to a certain specification it fails.
sure old cars didn't require the booster, but newer cars must perform to their design specifications.

Rowenb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Factory setup is crap! Was looking into the VT booster mc upgrade to compliment the grp a rotors i'm running on the front. I've been told by a weekend racer that i'll never get the factory gear working well.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Although the factory setup is out dated and low end for the size vehicle you can get it working to an ok specification with regular maintenance, flush fluid and renew at the specified intervals, good pads and make sure all seals and hoses are in good condition (old worn brake lines can flex and expand reducing braking performance), tyre quality and condition come into it also..

When changing pads don't just whack a new set in, clean out the old grease from the guide pins and renew with some good anti seize or copper grease.

I'm still running a stock 6 cylinder setup on a VN and it performs to a good enough specification, been some close calls in 100 km zones from ########s doing u-turns and pulling out without looking but pulled up in time to not hit them, drive quite a lot of commodores through work of that era and in the past couple of years i don't think I've driven a single one that compares to my own, it's not a race car and providing the entire system is upto spec then it should perform to an ok standard.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
Although the factory setup is out dated and low end for the size vehicle you can get it working to an ok specification with regular maintenance, flush fluid and renew at the specified intervals, good pads and make sure all seals and hoses are in good condition (old worn brake lines can flex and expand reducing braking performance), tyre quality and condition come into it

True that but unless the Calais came without ABS & 1 inch MS with V8 brakes then the stopping power is rubbish, but in saying that the stock system was made for a reason so if you want to stick with it then drive like you would in 1990 - LOL

Factory setup is crap! Was looking into the VT booster mc upgrade to compliment the grp a rotors i'm running on the front. I've been told by a weekend racer that i'll never get the factory gear working well.

VT kits are everywhere, do your research & you will find the answers you seek - depends on dollars & time to DIY, otherwise just stick to using a vacuum assisted booster until you have the coin to upgrade properly

Lately I've seen a few kits for older cars to run a wilwood mc without the booster. Does anyone one know if this is legal and could I do it to my old vp?

IMO Don't bother with this stuff man - so many other better options, look around & you will find the goods

Why, without the booster it will be hard to press the brake pedal.

DAMN STRAIGHT!

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore