Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running an amp on 11.5v, will it be OK?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Basically what the title says.

I am messing around a bit with a little project. Basically I am using a computer PSU to drive a low powered amp, an Alpine MRP-F250. Now the 12v rail on the PSU is only good to 8amps but the 6x9s that I am planning on using are only 40wrms. so it should work OK. But the 12v rail is only putting out 11.5v for some reason, and just want to check if this is OK. I assume it would but better safe than sorry.

snc00023e.jpg

The yellow is the 12v line and ground is obviously black. I unsoldiered the other wires.

Also if I use an ordinary 3.5mm jack and use the two positives and split the negative, will this be OK to use as a high-level input?

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
it should be fine.

the voltage may drop if you try to get too much power from the amp, and cause the amp to go into protect.

the amp appears to be 4X50watts? I assume you're only running 2 channels?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Turns out I am way to impatient will messing with new projects. Its not like I would have cried a river if the amp had died, its been sitting in my cupboard for years.

Anyway I crimped some spade terminals to the ends and hooked it up, and hey, it didn't catch fire, that's a win I guess.

Dos anyone have any suggestions on the input. I was planning on just getting a standard 3.5mm cable (maybe just cut off some old PC speakers) and putting that into the high-level input. Or I could put a cheap DNA LOC onto the 3.5mm cable and plug it into the RCAs.

snc00024.jpg

EDIT: AmmoJammo, yeah just channels 1+2, the amp puts out 4x40wrms, and the speakers are some old Pioneer 6x9" that are 40wrms rated.

I'm planning on making this a portable box and using it as a portable speaker, 80wmrs is pretty decent. Also my mate at work wants to use it on his guitar, should be fun.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Basically anything that uses 3.5mm, mobile phone, guitar, computer, MP3 player. I know it will be a bitch setting the gain but I will just have to listen for distortion.