Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running Hotter Than Normal

S Pack

Topped out @ 230kph
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
Hi guys/gals.....

Been away for 10 days so the car has been sitting out front since. Went for a spin today and instead of running just above the lowest C-cold mark it is at the 1st mark above it. Checked transmission and engine oil. Will check radiator filler when cold in the morning but would there be any other prob if my water levs are fine.

kirkson

Captain
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr v6 exec duel fuel
Hi mate,
run your engine till it reaches what you would concider the normal opeating temp, maybe go for a drive for 20 mins or so, then pull over and check if your thermo fan is running, could be you have a dicky thermo sensor.
regards Kirk

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
S Pack said:
Hi guys/gals.....

Been away for 10 days so the car has been sitting out front since. Went for a spin today and instead of running just above the lowest C-cold mark it is at the 1st mark above it. Checked transmission and engine oil. Will check radiator filler when cold in the morning but would there be any other prob if my water levs are fine.

Doesnt sound like a problem. I wouldnt worry unless it was running over half.

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Same, Mine runs on between 1/5 and 1/4 and the fan only comes on when I'm stopped idling at lights and stuff, even in the height of summer.

S Pack

Topped out @ 230kph
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
my fan is constantly on

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
What temp does she sit at when driving at 100kmh/80kmh also do you have CAI?

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Mine sits on about 1/6 going at 80 or 100 or if its in the cold winter the temp gauge hardly moves. Thats with no cai either

Last edited:

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
anything under 1/2 is normal dude, if ive been doin some intensive driving my thermo goes go 1/2 way but normally sits round 1/4.. you start to worry once it reaches 3/4 and you can cook a egg on your bonnet... then you remove your overflow tank lid to have the water burst out like a exorcism was just performed.... meanwhile you wonder "oh crap did i just crack the heads???"
then you check your hand to notice the pressurised steam burnt your hand.... you let it sit overnight to check that the car is fine in the morning...after all they're built like tanks :p

also becareful water boils and turns to steam at a lower temp than coolant, the coolants job is to stop the coolant from turning to steam....

cant hurt to flush the radiator block with some new coolant :)

otherwise, dosnt sound like you have a problem

Streetvision

Scar-Non
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Something happend to my car once (before i had it) and it's now wired and the fan just keeps spinning no matter what :(

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
coolvncommodore said:
Mine sites on about 1/6 going at 80 or 100 or if its in the cold winter the temp gauge hardly moves.

If it cold mine's the same, and yes, I run a CAI. That has little to no effect on the running temperature though.