Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running rough after overheating

bns_vs_ute3885

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs
G’day,
Wondering if someone could give me an idea on what might be wrong with my ute.
It overheated yesterday, driving in high temps. Unbeknownst to me, I’ve a slow leak in the radiator and ran out of coolant on the way home for a trip.
Engine started ticking when I accelerated, so found a place to pull over ASAP.
Got the RACV out to have a look and ended up being towed home. Engine wouldn’t turn over yesterday. Tried it today, and it does, but running like a sack of ****.
I’ve topped up the water again, and also the oil, as that was rather low also.
Knocking has stopped, but it’s not running ok at all.
Any ideas what damage I might have done? Just so I’ve got a rough idea and know how much $$$ I’m up for when my mechanic reopens in the new year?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Lack of oil will cause issues with all bearings, bottom end, conrods and camshaft. Oil is also a critical part of the cooling process and without it or better still the lack of it in good order will also add up to component failure

Personally I feel that it's nackered now and will require a full rebuild which is definitely something you wouldn't do atm opposed to simply doing an engine swap as there's no shortage of used Ecotechs coming on the market every day. I'm taking it as that's what engine is in it and not a V8 ?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
could be a lot of things...pull the plugs and have a look what condition they are in and if any water/coolant in the bores...
You may have done a head gasket or cracked teh heads...pressure check the cooling system and see if any combustion gasses in the system..
May have seized the motor so a compression check will give you an idea....V8 or V6?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Kool v6 are dirt cheap if its not a simple fix just throw in a new motor

bns_vs_ute3885

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs
Yeah I’ll just ask my mechanic to grab a second hand one and chuck that in if it’s rooted and hopefully that’ll save me a few $$. Can’t do it myself, haven’t got the equipment

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Its probably 5-6hrs to remove and replace. If you go that way have him replace the seal in the front of the trans if its an auto.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
and the rear main seal in the engine itself as they are all around that age of leaking. While you're at it wizz the sump off and do that as it's a common thing that these ol' girls to turn up at mechanical garages for both these items to be solved due to oil gushing out everywhere and making a mess on everyone's driveway.