Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running stock rear mufflers on aftermarket exhaust and tune

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Hi all, quick question. I’ve got an L77 sportwagon with Cam, full harrop 2.5inch system with 1 3/4 headers- has been dyno tuned. Sounds killer and goes like stink. Making the trek to bathurst this year from SA and I wanted to get the opinion of the educated majority that lurks in here. Would it be safe for the car/tune to install either the stock afm mufflers or even vf2 mufflers (would have to have flange mounts) just for the trip to save the ears of my passengers? I’m used to it, but fully loaded with gear, 3 blokes and small trailer- I wouldn’t want to sit in the back for 12 hours
Thanks team JC

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Tell your passengers to suck it up:p either that or turn the stereo up

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Tell your passengers to suck it up:p either that or turn the stereo up

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Guys i know with cammed cars have Varex bi modal mufflers on their cars. When put in quiet mode it's basically as quiet and restrictive as stock mufflers and their cars seem to be fine.
I wouldn't give it a flogging with stock mufflers on it though.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Totally safe, likely more efficient under 3k RPM.
I have same spec as above (same body too) did a test on a dyno several pulls with bimodal mufflers, open and shut.
Result was no measurable performance difference under 3300 RPM, which is pretty much >90% of the drive time.
For me that confirmed a few things, mainly that with a tuned system there is no point pfaffing around with a loud exhaust on the highway.
The only time it would restrict performance (by about 15 HP) is flat to floor WOT getting up to speed on-ramp or snicking way back three clicks to 3rd gear for a serious F1 style fly-by overtaking demonstration.

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Totally safe, likely more efficient under 3k RPM.
I have same spec as above (same body too) did a test on a dyno several pulls with bimodal mufflers, open and shut.
Result was no measurable performance difference under 3300 RPM, which is pretty much >90% of the drive time.
For me that confirmed a few things, mainly that with a tuned system there is no point pfaffing around with a loud exhaust on the highway.
The only time it would restrict performance (by about 15 HP) is flat to floor WOT getting up to speed on-ramp or snicking way back three clicks to 3rd gear for a serious F1 style fly-by overtaking demonstration.
Thanks monstar, would you suggest to go with the stock afm cans or get vf2 bi modals? Next question, which models came with flanged mufflers?

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Next question, which models came with flanged mufflers?

All VF2 V8 models that don't have rear brembo's have flanged mufflers. Only Redline and LE models have the flared muffler flanges.

Last edited:

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Double post

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
All VF2 V8 models that don't have rear brembo's have flanged mufflers. Only Redline and LE models have the flared muffler flanges.

The Magnum has flanged mufflers.
VF seems have a few different configurations.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Magnum has flanged mufflers.
VF seems have a few different configurations.

I haven't been under a magnum so my bad but have been under all other VF models. Planet parts has heaps, contact them and ask for sedan/wagon flanged VF2 bi modal mufflers.

I'm visiting my ex colleagues at Holden HQ next week so will ask the ? about the magnum. I remember something about the rear brembos and Redline thicker rear swaybars and swaybar rod..

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I haven't been under a magnum so my bad but have been under all other VF models. Planet parts has heaps, contact them and ask for sedan/wagon flanged VF2 bi modal mufflers.

I'm visiting my ex colleagues at Holden HQ next week so will ask the ? about the magnum. I remember something about the rear brembos and Redline thicker rear swaybars and swaybar rod..

I was surprised when I looked under the bum and saw the flanged mufflers.
Nearly every pic I've seen in regards to VF exhausts have the ball/socket connector.
Made me smile though, have an E3 Maloo 2.5" center section that should bolt straight up, just need a couple of bungs for the O2 sensor holes.