Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running temps

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Hey All,

Just checking peoples opinion on my oil and coolant temps.

I've seen people saying their oil gets well above 100, 115, 125 and even 150 on cruises in the hot air low speed.

My oil / coolant sits at 90 - 95 degrees, whether its 10 degrees outside or 40 degrees. Both temps get upto 100 degrees going up the steep freeway in Adelaide for about 15 mins. But as soon as it flattens out, the temps drop back down.

Coolant temps would also be trans oil temp? Given that the trans oil is "cooled" through the inbuilt cooler under the radiator.

What temp do the thermo fans kick in?

SIDI 3.6 SV6

IMG_2653.JPG

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Make sure "people" are measuring temperature in degrees and not Fahrenheit. 150c sustained is well past blown head gasket territory, 90-100 would be within normal operating temp.

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Yeah been seeing people's different oil temps. Some after a long cruise, some after a bit of hard time etc etc. It seems like people are having a piss contest of how high their oil temps get. Read one of them that their GTS doesn't alarm until 180degrees. WTF!! hahaha. But that was on Club VE facebook page.

Do you know at what temp the thermo fans kick in?

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
My oil temp is always between 100 and 105c in normal driving no matter if I’m doing 100kmh on the highway or sitting in traffic.

But I did go for a (spirited) drive on the weekend and the temps got up to 111c but within a minute of normal driving it was back below 105c

Coolant temp is always between 89 and 100c no matter what driving I’m going.

My car is a V8 but would expect much difference between V8 and V6